10,000K or 6,000K? Which should I choose?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by HollyG, Mar 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

So. Just got a new dual T5 fixture for my 10gal and I got 5 new sps coral, but the thing is that I don't know what bulbs I should get? the sps I got are: Pink/green birds nest, pink birds nest, green horn, green digitata and what i think may be a green stylo. I currently have a 10,000K bulb with an actinic and a blue LED accent strip. i really like the blue color spectrum :p but the thing is that I'm scared that the 10,000K bulb isn't quite enough for the green horn and stylo and that I should get a 6,000K bulb instead. So far they have been under the lighting for about 24 hours and the digitata has been under the lighting for about 3 days and they are all doing fine, and I actually even noticed that the tips of the pink birds nest are turning white with new growth when there was no new growth when I got it. I dunno... what do you guys think? I also wanna get a new LED strip to show off the pink in the birds nests... should I get a pink one or purple? not too sure. Keep in mind that i really like more of the blue color to the tank :) thanks for all your help!

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

sounds like your doing well...if the bulbs are new and things are fine...you have time to decide what you could use next..imo : )
    are they both 10k..you could do some 50/50s, more blue...... but if your going LED in your mind right now..just do it !! : )

4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I personally hate the look of 6500k bulbs, but it will increase your growth. Here is the spectrum produced by a 6500k: http://www.reefgeek.com/reefgeek/6564/6500K_daylight.jpg
    and as I am sure you realize there is a ton of yellow, green and red. These usually promote and increase in brown pigmentation in coral, specifically SPS, and an increase in algae growth in a water environment.

That all being said, its up to you and your preferences and husbandry with water quality. Having no PO4 and NO3 will make sure your algae is minimal.

I would vote 10k if it were me though:)

5. HollyG

no, I'm using a single 10,000K and an actinic in teh fixture. It's only a dual bulb fixture... but i liked more of a blue color to the tank, so I added a blue LED strip. I would love to go full leds but i don't have the money to get a full LED fixture right now... Would maybe two 14,000K bulbs with teh current LED strip be ok for the sps? Would that be enough for them? And then I can still use my led strip? or maybe keep the 10,000K and replace the actinic with a 14,000K? I dunno if that would be blue enough though? I think two 14,000K bulbs with the blue strip would look nice, but is that the proper spectrum and enough light to keep the sps heathy and growing?

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

check out that link Aticus posted...some good info there....look into the spectrum's of what your speaking of..
    ..and again, its a personal preference....sometimes you gotta kiss a couple frogs before you find the prince...I know that was a pretty lame analogy..but what the heck.;D

7. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

If it was me I would go with 2 Coral Plus bulbs by ATI and use your existing LED set up.

Check out the spectrum here:ATI Coral Plus 24 Inch 24 Watt T5HO Fluorescent Bulb

It is basically the 14k bulb you wanted with a little bit lower peak in the whites, and an increase in blues. This will be perfect for your SPS. You will sacrifice a little growth in order to achieve optimal coloration. However, you have a small tank and even minimal growth will appear dramatic, so color would be my choice.

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

I need 18 inch bulbs though :p But yea.. I like the sound of those bulbs... there is no 18 inch that I saw though.