1 of my 2 Clowns just died....

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by xeddyboi420x, Jan 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

Nice tank set-up but sorry for your loss.

The same thing happened to mine today- I bought them from the store and they wouldn't eat. I thought it was stress until I figured out both had a parasite and had given it to each other. Did the dead fish at anytime have a white string under its belly?

It's called Clownfish Disease. Might want to check your other one

2. Click Here!

3. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

Also, even though your Ph may be low, or your water parameters might not be perfect- that is normally NEVER the cause for a fish to die. Fish are very hardy creatures and normally do not die over small changes to water conditions (tank hasn't "fully" cycled or Ph is off, or a little nitrite here and there, etc).

As long as your water is within standard parameters- don't worry about it- they should live. If they die, just remember that these fish are mass produced and some will live and some won't- is really just the luck of the draw and making sure you pick out a healthy colorful fish at the LFS.

4. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

thanks for the advice!

i tried looking for an expiration date on the API Saltwater test kit but there isn't any... so how in the world am i supposed to know!!!

5. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

i would try by checking the API website, or you can try calling the number on the box. I agree about the filter and the protein skimmer. I use a penguin biowheel and a protein skimmer with my 28. The first thing I did was get rid of the filter that came with the tank.

And on another note (i know its been said)...def hold off on an anemone. There is absolutely no guarantee that they would even host in it and it also would require a light that's alot more expensive than the one you have! Not to mention the whole tank being older thing.

I hope he makes it! I recently lost my clowns of one year, I know its frustrating!

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The comments about the filter not being necessary are not wrong... but I like mine because it grabs "big" pieces of junk (for example I find left over super glue strings from coral frags, shell pieces from a dead Chiton, little pieces of flame algae that broke off when I was trimming it, etc. when I clean my filter).

Also, it sucks water from the bottom of the display whereas my skimmer pulls it from the top. It also, for me, has the benefit of working some flow into the bottom of the tank as well as creating disturbance on the surface from the return flow.

Everything is HOB for me - if I had a sump or refuge, I wouldn't use it at all. I'm thinking about switching it for a HOB refuge actually.

They have their uses - if those uses interest you...

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I agree Peredhil, they serve great as supplemental filtration, like canister filters. Using them as the only means is where they are "useless" in the sense that they don't remove dissolved organics like a skimmer will. And of course, it's the DOs that cause the most damage to our livestock. That being said, if these types of filters are cleaned regularly, they are good supplements. Personally, I got too lazy with my Fluval and just decided to remove it completely. It got too messy with water splashing out from the tubes when I removed the pipe section. The impeller was failing for the second time and the rubber O-ring was dry rotting, so it was time to go anyway. :p

8. Click Here!

9. xeddyboi420x

I don't understand, why have all of this when my tests are zero? isn't it just unecessary?

10. xeddyboi420x

ok i lied, i just retested my nitrate and it's at 20!!! what should i do? i just did a 10% water change....