Kalk & aiptasia/blue clove polyps

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sharoleb, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

So I bought some kalkwasser in the BRS group buy last week. Can I get a how-to on killing aiptasia/clove polyps? I assume just mix up a paste similiar to Aiptasia X and use the syringe?

Anything I need to know, besides just do a little at a time? Approx. how many syringe fulls can I use in 90 gallon tank at a time before I need to worry about my water quality?

I would appreciate any and all info. Thanks. ​

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Subscribed! I was the one who mentioned it to you. I have read you want to mix it to a think paste consistency and then use it of about a 1-2" square section. I would get some real experience from people however.

4. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Yes, thank you!! I've been looking into it, then waited until I could get into a group buy. I'm pretty sure I just bought a lifetime supply of the stuff, but it was cheapest this way! ;D

I've tried my trusty friend google for advice but would prefer to hear from folks w/ personal experience.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Oh no i completely agree. I know people do this all the time but where are they??!?!!? Lol

6. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

I hope they show up soon, BRS order gets here Wed and I'm ready to nuke some cloves!

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes you mix it to a paste like the store bought products and apply it the same. i have done it it works about the same, i did find instead of using water that if i use lemon juice mixed with the kalk. it works much better. the real lemon in the bottle thats the juice i use. i inject the aiptasia with the juice and let it stay for a few hours on the melted aiptasia, which will melt to nothing. than i take an piece of airline tubing and syphon the kalk out. i do that just to keep those chunks of kalk left laying on the spots i hit from getting onto something they shouldn't be on.
    i have a 35 gallon and have hit 8 aiptasia at a time with no noticeable ph change.

so if you feel its not working well enough with just water and kalk try the lemon juice and kalk. it melts them instantly

8. Click Here!

9. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Follow up - kalk works amazing! It's surprising how much I have enjoyed killing stuff in my tank. I'll post pics tonight, but the blue clove polyps don't stand a chance!

10. Reef Daddy

Reef Daddy Astrea Snail

Not sure what your livestock looks like but:

I had aiptasia in a BAD way. I tried to bring home two copper bands and they both died. I couldnt try a third because I take fish death personally. :cry: Oneday while at the local pet store I saw a lemon peel angel. It was healthy and beautiful so I brought it home. Much to my surprise that little fella ate every piece of aiptasia in the tank. I dont know if this guy is crazy or normal but the aiptasia is gone.

11. MaxDraco

MaxDraco Plankton