ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Peppermint Shrimp

Skin: Mint
pjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond reputepjracer has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default How do you use Kent PH buffer

Good morning,

I just left my LFS and was advised that i need to raise my PH. I bought Kent Superbuffer - dKH and the instructions are unclear to me.

I have a 72 gallon Bowfront and a 20 gallon fuge. (10 more gallons of water)

I'm not sure how much to add to the sump to slowly raise the PH.

Current PH range is 7.9 and per my LFS need to get it to 8.2 to 8.3.

Thanks in advance for all the support you guys help me with.
pjracer is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
inwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond reputeinwall75 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

What is your current dKH reading? You need to know that. If they didn't tell you, give them a call. They'll probably remember.
inwall75 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
APC
Teardrop Maxima Clam

APC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond reputeAPC has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

My advice, is to not use super buffers, etc. at all. Here is why. For a long time, I used super buffer to control my PH and was totally not paying attention to the other factors that influence PH or are impacted by PH. Primarily I am talking about Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. When using buffer, I was able to lock my PH in at 8.3. It was rock solid and never moved from that level. The problem was, that was at the expense of proper Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. Basically my ALK was really high (18 dkh)...my calcium was really low (less then 200) and my Magnesium was low as well (1000). As a result, my corals were really suffering, and my reef was going into decline. My PH was good though :-)

I started paying attention to more then just PH, and looking at the whole picture...actually focusing on the Mg, Ca, and Alk...and letting PH take care of itself...if you ballance the three..the PH naturally follows. Overall my reef is much much better off for it.

In my opinion, the best way to get all levels in check is to use the 2 part solution from www.bulkreefsupply.com. They have great calculators out there that tell you how to dose properly, and get your parameters in check. It takes time...took me about 10 days to bring things in line...but once you get it dialed in, it is easy to keep things looking good.

Only other catch is you need to get test kits for Mg, Ca, ALK as well..which can be pricey, but again, worth the expense.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Screwtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond reputeScrewtape has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I agree if keeping a reef don't chase pH with buffers. The actual chemistry is more important. Lots of great reefs run fine from 7.8 or 7.9 all the way up to 8.4, maybe even 8.5. Not that it's necessarily something to strive for of course but it's nothing to worry excessively about and not by using buffers which can mess with your alkalinity.

Keep your alk stable and at adequate levels and keep the room well ventilated with low CO2 air and you should be fine, basically. Here are some articles that will explain everything if you want further reading on the subject. I would be skeptical of advice from that LFS too if they're suggesting pH buffers for a reef system.

Supplements
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

Low pH
Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

As an example of a tank that runs low pH:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/totm/index.php
Screwtape is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Torch Coral

sailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond reputesailorguy has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
My advice, is to not use super buffers, etc. at all. Here is why. For a long time, I used super buffer to control my PH and was totally not paying attention to the other factors that influence PH or are impacted by PH. Primarily I am talking about Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. When using buffer, I was able to lock my PH in at 8.3. It was rock solid and never moved from that level. The problem was, that was at the expense of proper Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. Basically my ALK was really high (18 dkh)...my calcium was really low (less then 200) and my Magnesium was low as well (1000). As a result, my corals were really suffering, and my reef was going into decline. My PH was good though :-)

I started paying attention to more then just PH, and looking at the whole picture...actually focusing on the Mg, Ca, and Alk...and letting PH take care of itself...if you ballance the three..the PH naturally follows. Overall my reef is much much better off for it.

In my opinion, the best way to get all levels in check is to use the 2 part solution from www.bulkreefsupply.com. They have great calculators out there that tell you how to dose properly, and get your parameters in check. It takes time...took me about 10 days to bring things in line...but once you get it dialed in, it is easy to keep things looking good.

Only other catch is you need to get test kits for Mg, Ca, ALK as well..which can be pricey, but again, worth the expense.
+1,same thing happened to me while using Superbuffer dkh,Alk rose to 21.I now use a two part for Ca and Alk and ph is fine.
sailorguy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
3reef Moderator

missionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

I add 3/4 teaspoon to my 13 gallon system and that raises it 3dKH.
missionsix is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
3reef Moderator

missionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond reputemissionsix has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Also, a change in pH by 1.0 is actually a 10x change in acidity.
missionsix is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!