Starving Lawnmower Blenny......

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Fairbanks Reefer, Feb 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fairbanks Reefer

Fairbanks Reefer Plankton

I have had a lawnmower blenny for about 1 year, and never had any problems with him, always healthy. But the last month, his color has faded and he looks like he is waisting away. He won't ear Nori, or hair algae(sp), never has. wondering if anyone has tips on getting him to eat.
    I think the problem has been made worse by the algae problem that has been going on for the same time period, long hair algae , mostly green, that get covered in what i think are diatoms nasty brown powderish stuff.. tested for nitrates-0ppm, tested for phosphates, again, 0ppm. silicates are the only thing i can think of but don't know for sure. just want to keep my blenny alive, he was our first fish.
    Got a Scopas Tang for algae control, and of course he won't eat it either...

side note, the algae smells like shrimp, which is what we feed the other fish, we use San Fransisco bay frozen brine shrimp, anyone know if there is a problem with this kind of food??
    thanks
    JT

2. Click Here!

3. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Brine shrimp isn't a good food

HI,
    I feed my fish mostly greenflakes, that spirella flake is good, many fish will eat alot of meat and litterly starve to death.
    Green flake is good for most fish. Brine shrimp are really a treat food.
    Doug
    Ps My bleenies eat all types of Flakes, I try and feed 1 green a day and add things myosis shrimp, and cyclops.
    ANother great treat is that dried sea kelp they sell at those chinese food stores they wrap sushi in it be sure its the sun dried not the baked kind.
    My local LPs said you can buy it there or pay 10 times as much at the lps store for a small amount.
    I use a clip for my fish the tangs love it too, hey everyone will eat green even the clarki,/

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  4. Fairbanks Reefer

Fairbanks Reefer Plankton

Thanks for the suggestions, i will give them a try. I did a little reading elsewhere on the web and tried wrapping the Nori (seaweed) around something flat so the blenny could eat off it. I used my Magfloat, and it seems it might be working. he has taken a few bites off it anyway.
    JT

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's a good sign. I have also wrapped nori around a piece of rock rubble with great success.