Spitting Foxface

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by TMartinez, Mar 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

I have had a Foxface Lo for about 5 months now. Its been a really cool addition EXCEPT it comes to the surface of the tank and spits out water. It was funny at first but it causes a lot of salt build up on the glass/rim/stand, streaks on the glass and wet spots on my carpet. Has anyone else had this issue? Why would it do this? Any remedies?

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Weird. Ive never seen or heard of a foxface doing so. However Ive seen triggers do it. I would more bank on it just being the fish itself vs an issue if all is well with its diet and weight and eating habits.

4. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

remedies?

Only thing I can think of is to put a piece of acrylic over the top of the tank but I'm worried about lack of air movement and blocking of light

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

You could do that but leave a larger opening in it? Sorta like a larger ledge inwards over the tanks water. Probalby giving less spillage. Or a canopy lol.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

put it in time out, make an acrylic edge extender to go around and above the tank not on it, or get rid of the fish;)

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had puffers do this, it meant feed me.

8. Click Here!

9. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

a hood may or may not help. He gets some decent distance when he spits and at the same point water could still run down the gap between tank top and hood.

I was thinking maybe a big [ shaped thing that goes in about 2 inches on the front and sides