MY Clown killed my FLame angle What can i do

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by addicted_now, Sep 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. addicted_now

addicted_now Astrea Snail

Hey I just got back from the LFS yesterday, had just purchased a small Flame angle, I had acclimated him and introduced him into my tank. Now i have BC 29 gallon with 1 yellow tang, and a pair of true percula clowns. I have 35 lbs of sand and 45lbs of rock work. After releasing the angle into the tank along with a skunk cleaner shrimp, i watched him for afew min he went straight to the rock work into hiding. Come back and an hour later he is out and about the tank. later that night after dinner, the female clown fish is just attacking the angle, took most of its tail, and fins so i removed the angle and placed in my spare tank. Sorry to say this morning he did not make it. Now i notice that this clown over the last 4 weeks have been getting more aggressive towards me, when i clean tank glass will attack my hand, of the brush. Now the clowns were added after the yellow tang and only the female is aggressive but they leave the tang and everything else in tank alone. I would like to add more fish into tank like a flame angle or small hippo tang but do not want my clown to kill it. Is there any way to place clown in time out? maybe take both out into a seperate tank for a few weeks while the new fish get establishe din main tnak? or will that just make it more aggressive.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Thats alot of livestock for that tank considering the yellow tang is going to get bigger and stressed from lack of swimming space. Clowns are damsels so its a territorial issue especially "if" the angel was smaller than the clown. Sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

removing the clowns to a time out tank might work and is worth a try. i did this with a male fridmani dottyback who had become aggressive. i had a pair in my tank i had over 2 years ago wanted to remove both but she seen him get trapped and no way could i get her to go into the trap. anyway i put him in my refugium he was there a week. i felt bad he was all alone. since i couldn't catch her. so i put him back in the tank. when i put him back he went to his home in the rock. than looking for her. and never went after another fish again. so at times i think it can work.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

One tang in a 29 g is not a good idea let alone two jm2c

6. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

Hes tank is fine for now but i tang will need to be traded in in a year or so.

If you could take the yellow and clowns out and add the flame or blue tang ,but the bule tang has to bigger then the yellow, add the fish and mess with the rocks and then wait a week then add the clowns then wait one more week add the yellow

7. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

Where's the tang police?

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I am sorry to have to say this, but your advice is awful and is going to hurt the fish and his tank overall. Your tank is overstocked and your fish and tank itself are suffering. Tangs grow quickly and in a short period of time will be to big for his tank.

A yellow tang is way to much for a 29G biocube, let alone two and a flame angel. Remove the yellow tang and keep the two clowns. Go with some smaller fish such as gobies or grammas. Fish do not have the "i am owned by an idiot and only grow to my surroundings gene". They will grow until their hormones tell them to stop.

Do lots of research using multiple resources. This is the only way to come to a conclusion of if you can provide an organism with the care they need.

I am sorry about being so blunt and rude, but I am tired of people with blatantly overstocked tanks telling others to overstock their tank as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

+1. Amen on all of that.
    2 Clowns and a Royal Gramma, or 2 Clowns and the Flame Angel is all you should even think of keeping. There is no way in hell you should be putting a Tang into anything less than a 75. And even that is questionable unless you pick the right Tang.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I think it was a territory issue. Clowns can be quite territorial, especially females. In a tank of that size, the aggression can be worse, because they "own" a larger amount of the tank.

For future fish I would stick with something small, who's not such an active swimmer, to help avoid, or limit, territory issues.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Quite frankly Im sick of people commenting like this, and It only drives people away from the hobby. Quite frankly its disgusting. Sorry to hijack this thread to complain for a moment but....

I see you all yell and scream at people. about this, Yet you comment on other peoples tank threads that have tangs in a 50g or less tank and say how beautiful and wonderful their tank looks.

If your gonna make a half brained remark back it up with why they shouldnt be putting a fish in the tank that small or for whatever reasons.

So for example, a Biocube does not have a very lengthy run. Small volume. Tangs need the runway length because of how active they are and they need room to swim and to be able to grow. Most tanks under 50g Cannot stand the bioload of a tang long term. They are the cows of the sea, and for what they eat they poop alot. Therefore they can easily crash a tank and kill themselves or the other creatures of the tank if its not kept up to pristine standards.

Tell people why they shouldnt rather then bite their head off about it. Not everyone goes into the hobby researching like crazy. They figure their local pet stores will fill them in on everything. And not all stores are the greatest.

As for the issue at stake, The clowns as said above can get territorial ... My clowns nip at my hands all the time when Im doing tank work and they are in a 120g tank. If your clowns are that aggressive to new tank mates, try and Switch up the aquascape of the tank, give it a new look when adding new fish additions. It will give everyone a fighting chance to make sure they dont infringe on someones area.