Kole Tang

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by blackraven1425, Mar 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I have a Yellow Eye Kole Tang that broke out in ich recently. He's got alot of spots right now. I've been steered to and away from a hospital tank, and things to add to the tank from no-ich to copper. I've also been told to use garlic in his food.

Now here's the problem with garlic in particular. The tang doesn't eat prepared food, only algaes (hair, gracilaria, grape kelp) I have growing in the tank. How would you go about getting some garlic to a tang that doesn't eat prepared foods (beyond the odd mysis shrimp he grabs)?

2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

You can buy the liquid garlic and just add some drops, Says how many on the bottle. But if he is eating ok he'll be fine ;) Good Luck

4. blackraven1425

Add drops to the tank? Also, protein skimmer on/off?

5. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

one thing to think about for a hospital tank is aside from if it helps or stresses the sick fish, is that it gets the sick fish out of your tank so he cant further spread the ich.

as for getting it to eat some garlic ive seen the guy at the LFS cut up some garlic and press the oils from out on top some dried seaweed. then feed the seaweed to a tang. I have no idea if it actually works or conveys the "good part of the garlic to the fish, hes a bit eccentric at times

6. blackraven1425

That won't work. It doesn't eat Nori. It only eats fresh algae. What do you do in THIS case?

If I go for a hospital tank, I have to move all my fish there, they all have at least a spot or 2. The tang is by far the worst affected, he's covered.

7. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Like I said if they are all eating ok they will be fine, They are fighting it off qt tanks are a last option. Also this is the garlic I was talking about Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme 1 oz.
    You can find it at a LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

My Kole Tang isn't fighting anything off. He's eating, sure. But he also is the one who brought it into the tank about a month ago with 4 or 5 spots, and is now overloaded with spots:
    [​IMG]
    Most of the spots are from stuff in the water column; however, this is a much lower density than the actual spots on him. I'm working with a cell phone camera trying to take pics of pinhead sized spots of ich.
    [​IMG]
    This is what I mean by "will not eat Nori". It's because there's readily available algae all over the place, epoxied to the rocks. Again, dose the tank?

The one-month thing is because of the ich life cycle. I have no doubts that if garlic doesn't work, in about a month, every fish will die very, very quickly in a giant outbreak becuse of the sheer amount of parasite that will be around in the tank.

10. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

There has been ich in the tank for 1 month?

11. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I use the dried algae sheets I get from the LFS. It has garlic already in it. I soak it with vitamins and add more garlic drops. All my tangs go nuts for it!

If he only eats fresh, like some of mine, just use a small piece of rock, and rubberband the sheet to the rock. He will think its fresh.

12. blackraven1425

There were 4-5 spots on the tang about a month ago. They disappeared. They popped up again yesterday. This is classic ich because ich has a LONG lifecycle. the fish almost definitely will survive this bout with ich, but they won't do so well for the next, when the numbers multiply 100 fold, like they did this time.

Ich sits on fish for 4-5 days as spot, drops off, grows bigger, and about a month later, bursts and sends the free-floating parasites everywhere. Then you have fish with spots for 4-5 days....

There's enough fresh stuff all over that he won't reliably get any garlicked nori.