Kole tang

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by sterling, Mar 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

I have a rellatively new Kole tang addition to my aquarium. It has been in the tank for 4 days now and the tang will not eat my prepared foods. I have fed lettuce, broccoli, two types of algae - 1 green and 1 red, and mysis shrimp and i have never seen it either them. However the kole tang does pick at the rocks all day and does not seem to be getting thinner. I am wondering what foods are best fed to kole tangs, or will it just need to get used to what i feed them?

2. Click Here!

3. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Did you ask the store you purchased it from to show you it will eat? That is the first thing you should ask. Assuming you mean dried nori in a clip for the algae? other than that maybe it is getting enough from your rocks. Not the best information, but I know mine will eat what ever I put in the tank.

4. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

I did not test that it was eating at the store. Major mistake on my behalf. With this said, what would be the chances that, in the case the Kole tang was not getting enough food from grazing, and wild caught, that it would begin to eat the prepared foods as a last resort?
    hopefully that makes sense/

5. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Could try soaking some algae in Garlic that might make him interested. Most fish stores sell it and I think if you search you might be able to find something in the grocery store(not positive on that). Keep us updated and maybe someone with a little experience might chime in.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes you can get garlic from the grocery store, its fine. Get a jar of minced garlic, and use the juice from that. Its what I do ;)
    And yeah, big mistake on not watching it eat.
    I would try tying down the various veggies you have to the rocks themselves. Either just tuck them in there or wrap a rubber band around the rock to hold it down. A lot of times they will come across it while grazing then finally get the idea of it being edible ;) Garlic might or might not help. I would put a little of each, with and without garlic, in there and keep track of what does or doesn't work.
    Unfortunately that's really all you can do.

7. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Call your LFS, ask what they fed and how, and try to duplicate it. From what I've read, 4 days is not terribly long to go without food for a fish. Just keep an eye on it, watch for stress. I have plain ole blue tangs, and they eat everything!