Foxface vs 5" Regal Tang

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by fletch, Sep 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I have this Regal Tang that just wants to boss everybody else around in the tank, It has been harassing my Foxface for some time now. But now I think that the tang got stung by the spines on the foxface yesterday, He started swimming wildly around the tank smashing into my sps corals hard enough to brake pieces of them off. Now he is laying in the rocks with his back fin fully extended. It seems to be breathing OK but he is a bit marked up from his encounters with the coral. Has anyone ever had this happen? I am not to sure if the tang is going to make it. John

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Bummer. I'm sure that you know that foxface spines are venemous :( However, that being said, if the fish is up and swimming around, it might be ok. Give it a few hours and see how it does.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Have you or Tangster ever had this happen to a fish? Or know of it happening? I have herd of a lot of people getting stung and they say it is like getting stung by a hornet. I just don't know how toxic the venom is to fish.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Roger says that the fish should be alright. Hippos tend to lie down or wedge themselves sideways into rock when they rest. Just watch for infection at both the sting site and on the places where the tang scratched itself on the coral. You might want to soak some food in some anbiotics if you do see any sign of infection.

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Thank You ;) Hopefully the tang makes it, And It learned something from this encounter ::)

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Great lesson!

Fish do learn/adapt or they would not last long in the little environments we have created for them.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL or their natural environment that God created for them either. ;D Over the eons those animals or people who did not learn/adapt went extinct ..I call it culling the stupid ..;)

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well he is back out and swimming around, He is quite banged up!! It looks like he got it right on the upper lip. He has scratches all over his body and his tail and dorsal fin a little ragged but he is eating again so I think he is going to make it. I hope he isn't one of the stupid and has learned from this.::)

11. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Hope all turns out OK with your tang Fletch.

Now you got me worried ..... I just picked up a Foxface a couple days ago and so far so good. Mind you my coral beauty goes up to him once in a while but I haven't seen any sparring yet. I very well knew of the poisonous nature of this fish but I would assume that fish also are aware of it too, and therefore would not do anything stupid to warrant a sting.

I'll post some pics of my newest addition as well as my tank as soon as I can pry the camera from my daughter.

Again, hope all goes well with the injured one.

Cheers.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I too have a foxface and ever since I put him in the tank I have had no problems. I have a Bicolor Suedo that picks on every body that goes in the tank but he has never even got next to the foxface or the tangs when I added them. He must know that there is danger lurking in those fins. 8)