Fish Ideas For A Tank of X Gallons

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by JJL, May 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I was thinking maybe we can, as a forum, create a giant list of fish that work well with a tank of X gallons. I have seen many threads asking for ideas on fish to put in a 10,20,30,40,50,60,70, 80,90,100,110 etc. gallon tank. We can do a group of fish that goes best with each size tank and go up by 10 gallons on each list. The fish on each list could be the minimum size tank that the fish needs.
    I know sometimes when people asks for idea on fish they have guidelines. For example, they might simply want only reef safe fish or fish that are red, but I was thinking the list could just be used as a reference tool when you are setting up a new tank. Then we could also mark if the fish listed is NOT reef safe.
    Is this list a good idea or not?
    LMK what you think
    JJL

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i think this is a great idea, however it may get very controversial.

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks, I personally think it could benefit fellow 3reefers.
    It will be controversial but I think we can work through that.

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

well I have 2 misbar percs and a yellow watchman goby in a standered 20 and think thats plenty and almost perfect. ;D

6. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i definitely think it could be a tool that would be used often. but like many say it would be difficult to factor in fish size and swimming room and such. the tanks would have to be standard size not cube tanks or anything to make things simple. haha maybe we should just skip tangs and mandarins all together haha.

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I know it will not be easy,and most people just use the standard size/shape tank. Also the people that do not use the standard size/shape tank will most likely be quite experianced meaning they will not need the list for their own referance. ;)
    Just waiting to hear more input, then I will start a new thread were we can start the list (With permission maybe it can be made a sticky if it turns out to be a good list)

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I love the idea personally might save some fishies lives IMO

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

hopefully, you could pm steve. ill offer as much advice as i can when the thread is opened.

i do agree many people doing strange shapped tanks are more experienced normally, but maybe later on we could dive into the subject of like taller tanks or cube tanks and what not.

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

haa yes indeed its all about the fishies..... the trouble we go thru....the fishies....

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

ok I will PM him
    I still want more people to give more input before I try to open an official thread
    Thanks
    JJL