ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Spaghetti Worm

Skin: Mint
Ryan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of light

gallery
Default Diamond Goby Suicide. First death in my reef tank:(

I bought a diamond goby about 2 weeks ago to clean my sand up. He did a great job, had it spotless in less then a week.

Last week I went out of town for a few days. When I got back, I did not see the goby, I though he was just hiding in his burro. After the 2nd day, I started looking a little harder, and feared that he jumped.

My stand is kind of unique in that the tank is completely encased in the stand/canopy. The stand and canopy are connected in the back to hide all of the plumbing. There are only 2 spots he could jump out of the water at and he found one of them.

I was planing on covering those 2 spots with screen, but did not get to it before I went out of town. I didn't think it would be an issue either because I never saw the goby leave the surface of the sand.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2942213862_692f60c3b6.jpg?v=0
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #2
Purple Spiny Lobster

JohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyBoy has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

That sucks. I've had mine for about 2 weeks also. I love to see him go at it with the sand. Those fish are great! Whenever, you decide to get another fish......go for the same one! Just cover your holes first.
JohnnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
Av8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Are you it was suicide? Do you watch cold case files? I would ask around maybe the tankmates didn't like him.
Av8Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Torch Coral

Rawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond reputeRawdogz has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Bluewater View Post
Are you it was suicide? Do you watch cold case files? I would ask around maybe the tankmates didn't like him.
am with you on this one AV8

3 wk ago my watchman did a fly boy act, and my cat got a new toy all at once
Rawdogz is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Snowflake Eel

Iraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond reputeIraf has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

i bought a diamond and it didnt make it through the first night same issue

have 2 dragon goby's though, 1 in each tank and they do great, same job different look and a bit more personable, doesnt seem nearly as skittish.

sorry for the loss though
Iraf is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Purple Spiny Lobster

1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of1st time has much to be proud of

3reefer 

gallery

Sorry to here of your loss, I have a yellow watchman--love him. He is so small that he doesn't clean much sand--he also never leaves the bottom.
1st time is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Giant Squid

lunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Sorry for the loss. I think someone chased him out. luna
lunatik_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Giant Squid

Av8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond reputeAv8Bluewater has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

I always wonder.. I think that maybe they think there's another pool of water on the other side or something.
Av8Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Skunk Shrimp

reefman1132 has a spectacular aura aboutreefman1132 has a spectacular aura about

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Bluewater View Post
I always wonder.. I think that maybe they think there's another pool of water on the other side or something.
why shouldn't they.....the ocean is endless to them. lol Sorry for the loss.
reefman1132 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Spaghetti Worm

Ryan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of lightRyan is a glorious beacon of light

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatik_69 View Post
Sorry for the loss. I think someone chased him out. luna
I think you may be right, Luna. My starry blenny and blue tang didn't care for the him very much. They would chase him around a bit, and tip at his fins. Every time I saw it happen, the goby would zip into his burro. I never saw him leave the bottom 2" of the tank though.

I went to my LFS (Seahorse in Portland, OR) to find a replacement. They had several gobys in stock, but I want another diamond. They are going to hold the next one they get in for me!
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!