Check out my stock list for 225g FOWLR tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by special juice, Aug 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

I accidentally posted this on the reef forum, so I reposted it here. Sorry for the double post.

This is my first post here. I have participated in other forums, and been lurking on this one for a while and finally decided to join. I have been in the hobby for 5 years and have decided to upgrade my 75g mixed reef which has been running for 3 years to a 225g FOWLR. I have a new baby at home and am no longer willing to do all of the work to maintain calc, alk, mag.

I ordered my tank from Deep Sea aquatics. It will have a 50g sump with a Reef Octopus Diablo XS225 skimmer. I will be transferring over about 100 lbs. of live rock from the old tank and adding new sand and about 75-100 lbs of additional live rock.

I have started giving some thought to my stocking list. Here are some ideas, but please give me some input. Starred fish are ones that I will be transferring from the old tank, so they will be added first. All other fish will be added in the order listed and quarantined for 6 weeks.

*1 Bangai Cardinalfish
    *1 Percula clownfish
    *1 Starry Blenny
    *1 Chalk Bass
    *1 Melanarus Wrasse
    3 Schooling Bannerfish
    1 Teardrop Butterflyfish
    1 Foxface Rabbitfish
    1 Flame Angelfish
    1 Maculosus Angelfish
    1 Blue-throat or Humu-Humu Trigger

I am willing to get rid of smaller, less aggressive fish (Cardinal, Chalk bass) in order to keep Angel or Tang. Also, the dimensions of the tank are72" x 27" x27". If I need to nix the trigger due to tank length, I will. Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Huge tank you're planning.

I like your list expect for the Triggers, well mainly the Humu. Seems more than a tad aggressive for the other fish types you keeping.

I do not see Tang on your list.

Love the choice of Angels though.

Have you consider more types of Wrasses?

I have been out of the big tank, big fish for awhile so I hope others will chime in.

4. special juice

Thanks, Corailline for your thoughts. So if I went with no trigger (then I don't have to deal with the huge bio load) then I could add maybe a bird wrasse and a harlequin tusk? As far as tangs, I've always been partial to yellows, koles and nasos. Any other tang ideas that would work with my fish list minus the trigger?

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to the forum special! I love FOWLR tanks and yours is such a nice big size that your options are quite a few. I love the bannerfish idea. My LFS has been stocking these for a while and they are so cool and a group would be great.

I actually thought about the tang also. With that size, I'm thinking your options are pretty many. I've always liked powder blues.

It looks like it might be helpful to think about some bottom dwellers as well. I'm partial to gobies. Lots of personality.

I'm with Coralline on the triggers. I would nix them and possibly consider a niger - I must preface that I'm not sure about minimum size tank on that one.

I would probably ditch the bangaii and chalk bass - I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings but I think they are both rather plain and blah when you have so many colorful fish options. What about another clown to have a pair?

HTH.....

6. special juice

Thanks for your ideas, oldfishkeeper. I'm glad to hear that someone else is excited about the Bannerfish. I haven't seen them in many tanks, but the zoo where I live has a school and they are fascinating to watch. I agree that the Bangai and Chalk bass are not terribly interesting but I was hoping to transfer them over from my 75g (only if they are compatible with the other fish on my list). I like the idea of getting a mate for my clownfish, he definitely needs a partner.

7. 0Chris

0Chris Astrea Snail

As your fish stocking goes, I have always loved schooling bannerfish they would make a great edition to your tank. As for the chalk bass in a tank that large he shouldn't bother other fish. The Cardinal fish might I suggest adding a few more maybe some pajamas so that a small school is formed they tend to be at least in my experience less aggressive that way. As far as the triggers, I would go with either the Bluethroat or niger but it depends mostly on the fish itself however those would most likley do better than the huma huma. On tuskfish they are usually a wonderful fish, however they will eat just about any crustacean in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I just wanna see pics when this thing is up and running!

10. AHP

AHP Astrea Snail

I have always really liked yellow tangs. I am looking forward to your pictures.

11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I just bought a Tuskfish and it is far and away my favorite fish. I would also check out butterflyfish. How about a cool hybred tang like a mimic-yellow and blue hybred?

12. Swim

Swim Astrea Snail

Welcome to 3reef.