Adding a 2nd Yellow Watchman Goby (SUCCESS)

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Indiana Boy, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello Everyone!
    I have had a YWG in my aquarium for several months. I would really like to add a second one in the hopes that they would pair up. Is this possible in my 55 gallon??? what are the chances of them pairing up? what are the chances that they will kill each other?
    Is there anyone who has done this?/ (had a YWG and then added a 2nd at a later date with success??)
    i realize there would/could be a possible territory issue...

Any opinions/feedback would be most appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. peasofme

peasofme Astrea Snail

if one dies, u still have another

4. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I have no personal experience with this but I believe you could have 2 in a 55 gal if you have lots of hiding places for them. Chances pairing up I would give it 25% kill each other 25%. IMO someone correct me if I'm wrong.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Unless you get one of the opposite sex but you dont know if you have a male or female. Most likely you have a male.

6. Indiana Boy

Thank you all, i will study this more before i make the decision. thank you all for your input.
    @peasofme-- Thank you, my goal however would be to keep my aquarium fairly calm and casualty free.

@ reefbruh--- thank you for your comment. You had mentioned that i probably have a male. Why is this? are male YWG's more common? i have had little luck with searches on the sexing of cyrptocentrus cinctus or keeping them in pairs. any input or resources would be most helpful.

This is where all of this (may) be going. i have been researching Alpheid shrimps and am aware that a single goby can have multiple shrimps (for example, one YWG ((cyrptocentrus cinctus)) with a pair of snapping shrimp.)

With this being said, it would be quite fascinating to have a pair of YWG's with a pair of pistol shrimps...

Thank you for reading. Input/feedback is appreciated

7. kstafford003

That would be a cool sight to see. I do not have any experience in sexing YWG, or any fish in that matter. But I would love to see you pull off a double pair, or a quortet, or a...whatever you call it.

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have personal experience, I had 2 of them in my Seahorse tank which are now in my reef tank. They chase each other around occasionally but really have not had any issues with them. They each stay at opposite ends of the tank right now but occasionally I do see them sitting real close to each other.

I ended up with tow because I had one in the seahorse tank. It disappeared one day and my wife was kinda upset, we watched for it for a whole week and never saw it. So I stopped on day on the way home and bought one and put it in the tank. then about 2 days late I was feeding the seahorses and thought I was seeing double! The first one must have been hiding somewhere.

I also have a friend that had 2 of them and they ended up spawning a Bunch of times in here tank. So i really do not see a problem putting 2 of them in a 55 gallon. But as you know nothing is set in stone in this hobby so you really never know whats going to happen till you try.

10. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Because in the trade more males are sold and they really cant be sexed until they turn into adults. But alot of fish do change genders once they bond.

11. Indiana Boy

thank you ReefBruh. Your shared knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I have called the two LFS in the area and they both shared that in housing YWG's that they....
    A) house them together
    B) witness YWG's forming "bond like behaviors" or avoiding each other in the same aquarium.
    C) do not see them fighting or going after each other

However,
    to consider is these are YWG's introduced at the same time to the same aquarium. Therefore, there has been no territory established.

what do you think? are these valid points???

anyways, i think i'm just going to go get one and see what happens. (as soon as theres one available at the LFS. they are out now)

12. kstafford003

I would say so. But they are also very stressed from being shipped and can make them do weird things untill they get settled in. But I think you would be good to go.