Upgrade stock Biocube or not?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by anpgp, Oct 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Alright, as of now, I have stock lighting running, 2x36W PC bulbs for a total of 72W. My question is which would be the better upgrade.

a) 4x24W = 96W T5 HO fixture for $173 Current USA Nova Extreme T5HO

b) Nanotuner Biocube mod. Adds one extra 36W PC fixture for a total of 3x36W PC = 108W for $67.96

or

c) Nanotuner Biocube mod #2. Adds two extra 36W PC fixtures for a total of 4x36W PC = 144W for $152.96

I know T5 bulbs are considered better than PC but for the wattage and price difference, I'm not sure now. I like the look of keeping the original Biocube hood as well.

2. Click Here!

3. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

ya i agree i would keep the stock hood. i would ad another pc bulb (1) with the 2 stock lights the tank is pretty dim another pc will help. if ur going to spend $150+ for a t5 light i would just wait and get a used setup of craigslist or something. the prices do they included bulbs?

1 person likes this.
  4. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

i had a rsm 130 and a bc29 setup at the same time and the rsm was 2x as lit as the bc29. the rsm has 110w of pc lighting and the bc29 72w. i would spend the least of mount of cash go with the pc's. if you want to keep sps corals t5 may be better, however if go that far i would just hang a mh pendant over it.

5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

All the prices include bulbs. Which I thought was a plus. The problem for me right now is the cost of MH. There is a Biocube mod that upgrades it to MH but it's like $300 and I don't have that kind of money to spend on a light right now. As far as SPS, I'm not looking at getting any in the near future but I've heard of people keeping them under the 4 PC mod and having absolutely no problems at all.

6. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

can you add a one bulb mod at a time? if so you could add one see how you like it and then add another if you like. 2 one bulb mods is cheaper then dual bulb mod. if this is possible i would condsider this route.

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I don't see why I couldn't do one at a time. The 2 bulb mod is more expensive because the ballast is a double instead of going with two singles, it comes with a larger heat shield, and a better power supply I think.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Anyone else have any thoughts?

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

11. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I know you said you would like to keep the original BC top.. but a 20" sunpod would be a nice addition.

(I say this because their currently for sale @ Marine Depot)

Edit- they've been for sale for a few years now. I meant ON sale.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  12. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i wouldn't upgrade it ,unless u have no intentions of going bigger if u dont then upgrading is the way to go