ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Teardrop Maxima Clam

Skin: Mint
BluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant future

gallery
Default best t5 bulbs money can buy?

just want to keep this simple. what are the best bulbs i can get for my nova extreme t5 ho 4x54 watt? i have about 10 corals mostly lps and a few leathers. some zoa, and stars. what would be the best color combination for my corals? i prefer the look of 460nm over 420nm if that helps, and my nova extreme lights say slim paq is that any thing different than regular t5 ho? and possibly a reliable site that i can purchase such bulbs?
BluePhish is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Coral Banded Shrimp

Frizza has a spectacular aura aboutFrizza has a spectacular aura about

gallery

I love the ATI bulbs. 3 specials and an actinic would be good, or if you like a slightly more blue look then go for 2 specials, 1 blue plus and an actinic.
Frizza is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-09-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Fire Goby

ziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud ofziggy222 has much to be proud of

3reefer 

gallery

i was told uv bulbs were good and they did ok for about 9 months before wearing out.t5's are supposed to last longer.so i got GIESEMANN
bulbs this time and so far i'm happy but its only been 3 months so i'll know in like 6 months if their better,as advertised i wish i could test them cause i think their brighter.i raised my light 2 inches higher off the tank and the corals seemed healthier.i have 2 54watt 11,oook t5's and 2 actinics over a 55 gallon tank and i think its to bright for a few of my corals.they expanded better after i raised the light.
ziggy222 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
3reef Sponsor

Tangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

URI out do them all if you ever saw them side by side , URI was the best thing to ever happen to T 5's
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Teardrop Maxima Clam

BluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant futureBluePhish has a brilliant future

gallery

hey tangster what uri bulb configuration would you recommend for my setup?(color, k rating)
Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Teardrop Maxima Clam

gallery

what temp.has more intensity 10k or 14k, what k do corals prefer?, if they do at all.meaning what color of the light spectrum do they use the most of? i just cant decide what temp to use and how many of which?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
3reef Sponsor

Tangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond reputeTangster has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

If you mix these bulbs in this combination you will have a very hot 11 to 14 K it's a great mix for coral's , coralline's and clam's . Thats what I do for a living is grow corals as fast and healthy as I can thats why we use M/H but we try other things and with T-5 that by the way I think suck to be blunt and VHO do a far better job the only redeeming quality about a T-5 is one can cram more bulbs into a given space.
I really don't like them They are just a smaller bulb with higher pressure gas and that makes them glow a bit brighter to some . I myself would rather run VHO's But Since URI put these bulbs out then to me thats is all that makes a T 5 worth plugging in.. And I ran them side by side with other bulbs . Thats why we have many of the other bulbs still setting up on the racks . Last Nov I was told by our Rep. at Ultra Violet that they where or had a line of P/C bulbs coming out soon .

With any Tube type fluorescent bulbs its all about the Phosphors and they quality of them and the earth metals and the amount of these that make one better then the other.. Its not so much about brightness.
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
Teardrop Maxima Clam

gallery

so im def gonna go uri. ive heard that the uri 10000k put out more of a violet color compared to other companys 10000k.some people explained it as almost pink. is thier any truth to this?. whats your fav uri bulb setup to use.?
Quote:
If you mix these bulbs in this combination you will have a very hot 11 to 14 K it's a great mix for coral's , coralline's and clam's .
mix which bulbs?
thanks for your response!!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
3reef Sponsor

geekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond reputegeekdafied has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

Are my eyes decieving???? or is Tangster promoting T5HO's???

Just an FYI, URI is now UV...
geekdafied is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Purple Spiny Lobster

antonym518 is a splendid one to beholdantonym518 is a splendid one to beholdantonym518 is a splendid one to beholdantonym518 is a splendid one to beholdantonym518 is a splendid one to beholdantonym518 is a splendid one to beholdantonym518 is a splendid one to behold

gallery

I have used a lot of different t5 bulbs. Actually the ones that handle the best, don't blow as easy, and are very bright, I have clams sps lps and softies, are the petsmart hagen brand. I have the same fixture. I also have 2 24" smaller novas that I put on the front. I run:

Actinic
Actinic
actinic

Its a nice configuration. My clams are doing great and my sps grow like crazy!!!
I like the 18k it has a pinkish color and the 67k are right over my clams, they seem to like it. I have had moved the lights up too, can't really tell that much of a difference. They are very good fixtures, f#%@ what anyone else says that have not used them. T5HO are great the bulbs are cheap and last. They are intense and I have grown coral in every part of the tank.

Have rearranged a little since this pic, but so you know I know what I am talking about. Those hagen bulbs are nice!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00796.JPG
Views:	1847
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	8879  
antonym518 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!