Wilted finger leather, Help!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Ziggyboy, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ziggyboy

Ziggyboy Plankton

So for the past three days my finger leather has been wilted and not polyping out. Two weeks ago two of its fingers just fell off and landed on a near by rock where they are doing great and growing fast. Im just worried becuase those two little guys are doing great and are all polyped out but the big buy is shrunken, leaning, and not polyped. I have had him for 2 years, no problems, parameters are normal, I haven't changed anything, any advice?

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Watch the coral for a week or so, but your leather is most likely o.k. Lather corals molt and they could close up for around 1 week or so. Most likely your leather should be back to normal in a few days!

4. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

Is this a capnella (Kenya tree) by chance? The dropping of "offspring" is fairly common with these. Moreso than with other leathers.

Having had a leather for a couple of years without ever having seen it shrivel up at some point sounds odd. If there something this "out of the ordinary" going on, I might be a bit concerned.

There is a pretty good (although disheartening) thread about this in the ASAP forum, which is recent. You might want to have a look at that one. The cases may be similar, or the thread may offer some insights.

5. Ziggyboy

Ziggyboy Plankton

Thanks for the insight guys, I guess I freaked out for no reason because today once the lights came on it polyped out like always!

6. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

Excellent. That is great to hear.

Thanks for the update.