Toadstool bud or something else?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by pgreef, Jan 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Noticed this when my toadstool's tentacles were retracted. It's basically a little ball of tentacles clinging to the main stalk. It looks like it is loosely clinging to it because the whole thing moves around in the current. Click on the pic to enlarge it.
    [​IMG]

This is obscured when the rest of the toadstool's polyps are out so I never noticed it before today.

My toadstool has never budded before so I don't know if this is normal. Overall it looks healthy and is growing so I'm not really concerned. Just inquisitive. I thought the buds grew off the base. Indeed there are a few small tentacles growing at the extreme back of the toadstool's foot right at the edge. I can't get a decent pic becuase of the angle of the lens w/ respect to the glass.

So is this normal? Is my toadstool going to release its own frag?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

That doesn't really look like a new coral to me. I'm not sure if they do bud. It almost looks like an aptasia.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

The picture isn't great. The tentacles on the bud look identical to the ones on the "mother". It's definetly not aptasia.

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

turn it on its side and snap a pic.

btw fantastic corraline!!!

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Ah, yes pgreef, it is "having a baby". This is exactly how Toadstools reproduce. A good sign!

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

unclejed, so should I cut this bud off and glue it to a rock or should I let nature take its course?

{Nano}, I thought about moving the piece of rock that its on to get a better view. I may do it but I'm afraid of distutbing the tank. Thanks for the coraline compliment. It grew very quickly initially but it seems to be slowing down now. It grew better under my dimmer PC lights than under my T5s.

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I thought you may ask that................I would let nature take it's course, at least for a few weeks and give the little fellow time to grow and gain strength. If after awhile you don't like the two headed look (it may leave on it's own) then you could use a scalpel to make a nice clean cut about 1/4" from the parent and use a tooth pick to affix it to existing rock or to a plug. Many like a frag ring or plug or small rock because then if it is not happy where you place it you can move it easily.

10. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

Very nice.. !! I have some toadstools in my tank, now I know what to watch for..
    Very nice find..

Larry

11. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted with pics.