Pulsing Xenia

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Mkizla, Jun 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Alright as some of you who have read my previous posts, i Recently gotten 2 xenia from a craiglist. This morning the both xenia was doing perfectly fine, except one floated away and got inside the rocks, So I had to move all the rocks to grab the floated away xenia, and do all the rock work, and again wrestle with the xenias to find them a placement since I do not own a glue. Anyway my mistake for grabbing the Xenia unprepared, water params are okay ish

amonia: 0
    nitrite: 0
    nitrate: 0
    calcium: 480
    except the PH is at 7.8 but I hear its not like fatal low
    Water temp: 80 C

Anyway right now, they pretty look messed up, same as how i setted up them this morning. Around 8 months ago, I had a xenia and while my water param was perfectly fine, that xenia metled away while my other corals were doing good. Do I just have really bad luck with Xenia? or am I doing something wrong? And ya I have coral beauty angel, but he has not nipped on my xenia all day long today.
    By the way, I also have Kenya tree which is doing good so far.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

xenia is one of those corals that can grow like weeds in some tanks & in others it will dissolve for no good reason. I have had xenia in my tank and it did great for a few months, then each head began turning white and melted away.

pom pom xenia on the other hand, thrives in my tank, I went from one little colony to about 8 or so now. See my post: http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/gimme-p-o-m-poms-pulsing-qt-vid-90495.html

You might want to try and get some pom poms, I like them much better than the regular xenia.

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

too bad u dont live closer to me...i could give u some attached to rock...it grows like a fricken weed in my tank...started out with 1 little frag...and now I have like 3sqft of the stuff in my tank! lol

5. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Xenia become a nuisance when they grow IMO. The entire right side of my Biocube is stuffed with them. Annoying.

6. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

it hurts seeing my $15 melting away every second. lol

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Like Kevin mentioned, you can usually find free xenia from local reefers as it overruns tanks and lots find it annoying. Look at some local reef forums and I'm sure you'll find some to try again.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

If your spending $15 on Xenia you are being ripped off my friend..

10. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

I bring my frags to the LFS so I can get free blister packed food or a bag of Chateo. Thats all they'll give me. I can't complain though.