Wrasse Fan's 45 Cube Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Wrasse Fan, Mar 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrasse Fan

Wrasse Fan Spaghetti Worm

So the best way i could think of presenting this is to just make a whole new thread. http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/65-gallon-rebuild-83777.html Explains it all in detail but basically i started to strip down my 65 gallon tank to clean it up and redo it the right way.

I've been doing alotta work on it, today I scrubbed the tank and when i scrubbed the corners silicon was peeling away. This alarmed me and since I am cashing in some bonds I decided to do an almost complete rebuild.

I've picked the Marineland 45 Gallon Cube with built in corner overflow. The tank is 24"x24"x18." I am getting one brand new locally for $250. I think the price is abit steep although if another member owns a similar tank they can correct me. But any ways I don’t really mind since the whole point is to do this the right way, which is the expensive way. I am planning a DYI stand which should cost me around $90 I figure.

My shopping list for tank accessories is;
    -Pure-flo II 24 GPD 3 Stage RO system~$112.99
    -Eshopps Reef Sump RS-75~$127.99
    -Eshopps In-Sump Protein Skimmers PSK-75~119.99
    -WavePoint T5 HO Systems 24" 96W~$179.99
    -Total~$540.45

So altogether it will cost me $880.45

Right now i have 100 pounds of live rock (some of which im bleaching) i plan on keeping around 50 pounds of it and selling off the other 50ish pounds along with my 65 gallon drilled aquarium and a few other things.

If I get $400 for my old stuff i will only be out of pocket $440. My parents told me i can have up to $1,000 of my bonds so this leaves me $500 for coral and other thing I cant account for but know will come up

Now i've already reduced my stock list once from
    Ornate Leopard Wrasse
    Bluestar Leopard Wrasse
    Coral beauty Angelfish
    Maroon Gold Stripe Clown
    Dwarf Lionfish
    4 Lined Wrasse
    Half and Half Demsel
    to
    Ornate Leopard Wrasse
    Bluestar Leopard Wrasse
    Coral beauty Angelfish
    Maroon Gold Stripe Clown
    Yellow Watchman Goby

So I’m figuring the above list will be to much stock for a 45 gallon tank. What would i have to take out?

I'm gonna order things next week and most likely do the build two weeks from now because it is my spring break starting then.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Wrasse Fan

Alright so the tank is ordered and will be here weds. I decided to get the tank with out the built in corner overflow, it actuly saved me some money. The tank was $250 with and $175 without but the kicker is when you order the tank with overflow you have to pay another $60 for the plumbing kit...which i didnt know. So $175 for the tank and $65 for an Eshopps overflow box saved me the $60. I also like the idea of an overflow box vs. a built in one since im goin for a 3 sided look.

I also ordered my new sump, skimmer and RO system today from Dr. Foster and Smith.

I will not be buying the T5 fixture, i plan on adding a 250 watt MH system with 2 65 watt PC bulbs giving me 380 watts and around 8 watts per gallon.

Stay tuned next week for pics! i think im gonna have time to build my stand this weekennd but if i dont i wont have time again till next weekend.

4. Wrasse Fan

Just got back from Home Depot and i got everything i needed for $70. Its gonna be a really basic ugly stand but it will be a cheap one and thats my goal. I am gonna build it tonight, should do homework but im to excited, ill post pictures.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Look forward to pics. Sounds like a nice tank - pretty well thought out!
    As for your question about fish.. not sure.. I am wondering about the wrasses though... are they compatible together?

6. Wrasse Fan

Thank you Matt

The wrasses get along good, the list...
    Ornate Leopard Wrasse
    Bluestar Leopard Wrasse
    Coral beauty Angelfish
    Maroon Gold Stripe Clown
    Yellow Watchman Goby
    ...Is what i currently have in my 65 Gallon, my question is would it be ok to move those same 5 fish into the 45 gallon. Would i be over stocking it?

Pictures of the stand, nothing fancy, i actuly returned a few things and made the stand really simple so i got another $30 back. I am not very good with power tools haha but i kept it plan and simple. The stand is 30" long and 24" wide. The tank with be flush with the stand width wise and length wise there will be 3" on the front and back. My plan to help make this a 4 view tank as much as possible is to drill a 1" hole, 3/4" hole and another two 1" holes. These will be so the drain, return line and power cords will go directly below to the stand and not hang on the out side. Not to bad for around $40.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  7. Wrasse Fan

Spray painted as much as i could with what i had left. I brought it in to the light to see how it turned out, pretty good it dosent need to be perfect thats a pro of living in a windowless room in the basement, the aquarium is my main room lighting.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That should hold some water!
    So no sump this round?

10. Wrasse Fan

Sump. I ordered a 10 gallon Eshopps Reef Sump. The stand is 23" tall, the sump is 16" and the skimmer is 19" giving me 4" to remove the collection cup. Sump will just sit on the floor. The reason im making it so low is so its eye level when your sitting on the couch, at the computer desk and laying in bed (the 3 sides)

I dont really know much about coral, all ive ever had is FOWLR but from the looks of it i want a LPS, mushroom and zoa populated tank. I really want bubble coral, hammers, tourchs, brains i think there the most attractive.
    Can i keep all three types together?
    Will 380 watts over 45 gallons with a watt per gallon of 8.4 be enough light?
    What types of suppliments will i have to put in the water?
    I have a Rio 1400 Return pump (420 GPH) and a Hydor Koralia 3 (850) giving me 1270 GPH of flow. That is a turn over of 28.2 times per hour, do i need more flow?

Thanks for any answer you can provide

11. Wrasse Fan

12. Wrasse Fan

Here is the stand in my room. The white desser will be moved to where my current tank is shown in picture one, the tv will be on top of that. Second picture is the view from the couch, third is from my bed and last is the view from my desk. The overflow box will be on the side facing the white dresser in the first picture.

Attached Files: