Twin 55 gal tank build ( NEW PICTURES )

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by homegrowncorals, Jan 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Ok after my tank got cooked over thanksgiving :angry: ( cheep heater stuck on ). I thought i would redo my tank setup, after talking to the wife about a 55GAL I was going to set up for her we decided to combine our tanks and build them into a wall end to end with a fish room behind them :eek: ;D. so being im starting fresh i thought i would start a tank thread starting with the build from the beginning and update it as construction progresses.
    the plan is to set the 2 55 gal. tanks up end to end and trim them out to make it look like one long tank and a frag tank in the fish room they will all share one sump and refugium,

new location of the build
    [​IMG]

and the first day of construction
    [​IMG]

o and by the way throw out any ideas and thoughts that i can incorporate into this as i proceed . ;D ;D 8)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

OH and so it begins. I have been waiting on pics and cant wait to see this one in action. Now get busy. LOL

4. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

Exciting! subscribed.

5. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

I had something similar when I had some freshwater fish. I would drill the 55s if possible and use overflows similar to the ones offered by gl*******s.com. It will make your life easier than using the hob overflows. I wish I would have boughten a drilled tank.

Do you plan on having one tank being a reef tank and the other being fish only.

If your are really stuck on having two tanks I'd step up to twin 75s for the added depth, to make aquascaping easier and More room for larger fish swim around.

If it was me I'd just get a 125 gallon tank. More room for larger fish swim around.

This is what I had in my dorm room.
    [​IMG]

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

sweet I like in-walls keep us posted :)

7. homegrowncorals

drilling is not an option one of the tanks is tempered ,hob overflows work just fine for me bin using them for 20 years with out any problems other than something extra to clean, 75s would be nice but i all ready have 2 55s to work with, and both are going to be reef tanks the thought is to trim them out that it appears to be one long 8 foot tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

figured out lighting and other stuff for them yet? plus HOB overflows arent that horrible if you use good ones plus you could always just stick them on the sides that face each other so the tanks look like they dont even have filters/overflows

10. homegrowncorals

Im going to use 2 4 foot 4 bulb ho t5 lights i have one on my one tank and am just going to buy another one the same for the other tank.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

neat! subscribed.

12. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Right on! Good luck!