SW Pico tank build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by PrettyinPink, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PrettyinPink

PrettyinPink Plankton

So, I have a pico tank that I obtained from picoaquariums.com and is the one Captive Aquatics Blog reviewed. I really like this tank and I am very excited about using it. The tank is only 12 in x 9 in x 9 in.

[​IMG]

I bought some foam to put under the tank to help create a level surface. I bought it at Hobby Lobby for around $2 a sheet.

[​IMG]

I traced out the bottom of the tank on the foam and cut two sheets. This makes it very sturdy.

[​IMG]

I put some sand in the bottom and added the pen for size comparison. It is so tiny. All I need to do now is get some SW mixed and pick up my live rock. I usually let my systems run a month to stabilize them.

Below are the lights I am going to be using for this system.

[​IMG]

The lights are from Orphek and I am excited about using them due to the low amount of electricity required to run them and that these lights cause fluorescence in sps. From left to right the lights are the PAR30 with 3UV and 4 blue LEDS, PAR38 with 6 blue, 1 white and 2 UV LEDS and then the last is another PAR30. The lights will be hanging a distance away from the tank because I do not want to stress the coral.

[​IMG]

Next I need to obtain the rock! I am trying to make this tank a total green tank. The company that made the tank, pico aquariums, uses recycled glass and ships them using low carbon shipping methods which follows my theme. Also, the sps will be purchased from Sustainable Aquatics. Be updating soon when the live rock comes in!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

subscribed! Normally to small of a tank for my taste but I love you step by step picture how to & the green theme is pretty awesome. Definitely looking forward to see how this progresses.

4. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

looking good. Cant wait to see more. What fish, corals, inverts do you have planned for the tank.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great start and plan

7. OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA 3reef Sponsor

Looking forward to seeing your pics of SPS under those ML7's ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Interesting build, of course I like the greenish theme. Are you using all three of those fixture in a pendent fashion above the tank? It is a sharp looking little tank with a lot of potential.

10. Matt121

Matt121 Fire Worm

I'm interested, Looks great :)

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Can't wait to see how your build goes with this tank. I was thinking about buying a Ridge 24. That seems like a lot of light for such a small tank.

12. OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA 3reef Sponsor

Yep, the PR-25's are actually really powerful...but could work if mounted at a sufficient height, especially for shallow-water SPS species.