steve's 5 gallon nano reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by steve wright, Dec 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

inspired by the recent threads by Robman and Yamaharider73
    I decided to put a vacant acrylic tank to use and set up my very 1st nano tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tank was started with 5 gallons of water from my weekly water change from my reef

some dry sand with a handfull of sand also from my reef

and 5 pieces of rock, taken directly from one of the DT's at one of the shops I frequent

1 hitchhiker Astra snail completes the stock list for now

this tank will be a Zoanthid featured set up, my aim is to get a good mix of colour varieties and eventually cover all the rock work with them
    Initially, I will be taking and glueing small frags of zoanthids from my reef set up, and only adding new ones if I see new colour morphs at the LFS

photo's where taken within 10 mins of the rock being set up
    only 1 attempt to aquascape in the tank itself - but 3 attempts on the dinning table until I had an arrangement I liked and then transfered it to the tank

Steve

4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Looking great Steve, You're all making me want to set up a small tank now. However My terror of an angelfish is going to an LFS in a few days, and I plan on fully cycling my 20 and making it a seahorse tank possibly :).

You have me very jealous though. Great work so far. Will definitely be following your advancements :).

1 person likes this.
  4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Welcome to the party pal!!!! Looks great. It is a totally different animal than our big tanks. I love mine so far.

1 person likes this.
  5. divott

divott Giant Squid

im liking this start steve. will look forward to updates , which i hope are many.

1 person likes this.
  6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Congratulations on the new build. You, Robman and myself are joining the new Nano inspired reef club. :) Your rockwork looks very nice. I cant wait to see how yours turns out. We will all have to keep the threads up to date so we can learn from each other.

1 person likes this.
  7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I added a 50w Marineland Stealth to mine. That thing is dead accurate. No lights and solid black. I posted some pics on my thread. It literally disappears

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

thank you Red Gambit, Robman, Divott and Yamaharider.

Lighting at present - which Im not going to run for 4 weeks, is an 18 watt clamp on PL lamp, I purchased a second one also yesterday so will have 36 watts of 10K PL for this set up, which should be perfectly adequate for Zoanthids IMO

filtration - the rock will carry the burden of biological filtration for me
    I have used a 400 litre per hour (100 US gallons) internal cannister filter
    2 birds 1 stone - as this provides 20 x tank volume in water movement ( adequate for Zoanthids IMO) and the chamber is big enough for 1 pouch of purigen or a cup of carbon
    and I will probably vary use on these 2 depending on parameter and tank clarity issues

Steve

10. steve wright

I would like to add an apology because at present I am unable to view the show of your fish tank forum, so cannot see and contribute on Robmans invisible heater for example

I was able to submit this thread via the back door, I posted it in the general section and then moved it, once moved and added to favourites I am then able to re visit it

I believe the problem is related to my firewall/ anti virus software, and will ask my IT guy to help me fix it later today

I can visit and contribute on all other forums ( so thats bad news for some of you LOL)

but cannot comment on tank thread aside from my own at present ( so my computer seems to have adopted my selfishness LOL)

Also , I cant multi qoute even on this thread, hence the blanket "thank you" to those that have posted

when I try and multi quote the screen goes blank except for the headers

Technology and Steve Wright are not compatible IMHO

Steve

11. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Sounds like your going to have a great set up. Ive got a HOB filter off a 29gal tank I thought about putting on there for more filtration but Im going to try the filter that it came with first to see how it does. I still have shrimp rottening in mine LOL
    I am not in a big hurry to get mine running now Im just going to take it slow and learn all I can about the nanos to try and prevent any issues.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

So Steve, Want some of my zoa frags, I ran out of room for two of my zoa's and dont know what to do with them, they are sitting on my sandbed ATM :(. Im afraid to put my zoas to close, Not sure if they will hurt eachother.