Smitty's Biocube 14's build thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by sticksmith23, Nov 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Hi there again everyone! My wife and I bought two biocube 14's tonight for our clownfish lol. We have a pair of semi snowflake's and a pair of snowcasso's coming on Tuesday. These tanks will be used to house one pair a piece in order to breed them once they are ready lol. They will have a bare bottom and a 4" clay pot to start with.

Right now, I am leak testing the tanks and just making sure all the components work properly before putting our investments in them lol. ;D I already discovered a missing ballast to one of the CF lights. Not a big deal, but I will go back to the LFS tomorrow and see what they can do to help me out.

These tanks are in our bedroom, the wife's idea lol. I think that she just wanted more tanks lol. But seriously, we are looking into starting our own breeding business. Still have a good year before the clowns are ready, and still doing a lot of research lol.

I will post some pics here in a minute.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

What would be the fastest way to cycle these two tanks since I'm not putting any Live Sand or Live Rock in them? I was thinking of putting some of the bioballs from each tank in my aquaclear HOB filters from my 40 breeder to get the bacteria culture started. I was also thinking of buying filter floss and using the same concept, or just simply filling them halfway with water from my 40 breeder.

Any advice is welcome.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I'd be a little concerned with disturbing the bio-balls- if you remove too many at once, you can cause an ammonia spike in your existing system. Filter floss or sponge would work fine- just throw it into your sump for a couple of weeks. Using aged tank water won't hurt anything, but it won't help as far as cycling goes as the nitrifying bacteria are not free-swimming, but rather, are colonized on submerged surfaces.

Good luck with your new tanks. ;)

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I was going to say the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I exchanged the one Biocube today and bought some goodies for them as well. I bought some Micro Bacter7 today to help cycle these two tanks. I got a 250 gph circulation pump for each of them and a 100 Watt ViaAqua Titanium Heater as well. Now to get some RO/DI water and get them up and running lol. Later on tonight.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

:2thumbsup This sounds like an interesting thread, keep us upadated. I got MW3 and 3 cardinal tetras for our 20 gallon planted.:)

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Thank you, and that sounds great! ;D

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Got a new PS3 since the other didn't work;D;D

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Lol, I'm actually an Xbox fan. The biocube's were more of my wife's idea, so we just got another one from a different store lol. ;D

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I like my wii... get more exercise with that. :D

I've heard nothing but good about the MicroBacter7. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Still waiting to see those pictures, though. :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
    1 person likes this.