Rocketman's New Dual 175g Bullnose Build Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by rocketmandb, Dec 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

It seems that when the end of the year rolls around, it's time to start a new build thread. This year is no different.

As posted in my 185g build thread, I got a new job in the San Francisco bay area. Our new house has no where to put the 185 that I spent six months putting together, which is a bummer. However, there two flat sort of book cases flanking the entrance to the sunken living room which are the perfect size and spot for TWO aquariums. (see pic below)

[​IMG]

I met with a structural engineer today and plan on removing the two columns nearest the stairs, reinforcing the existing structure and placing two 60"x30"x24" bullnose acrylic aquariums (about 175g each) on the areas flanking the stairs. One will be an SPS tank, the other a semi-reef with live rock and softies/LPS along with some fish that are not typically "reef safe."

[​IMG]

The sump is going to be in a separate building (sort of back left of photo) and I'm going to run feed and drain pipes under the floor to the cabinets under the tanks. I'm also going to be structurally reinforcing the cabinets underneath, though the structural engineer said they are in good shape as-is.

A lot more to come.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

subscribed! cant wait to see this finished

4. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Sounds like a good plan, bud! Make sure you make those two platforms as reinforced as you can. Those are perfect to hide sumps under them!! Congrats. The house looks very nice too!

Keep us updated.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great looking house and a great sounding plan.

6. EasyMac

EasyMac Fire Worm

Ahhh I miss san fran! I lived there for about a year a while back untill i moved to LA it's honestly prob my favorite city and the houses there are awesome =]

I just subscribed! This is getting me excited because this type of project is exactly what I plan for in the future for my first house after completing my chemistry degree in college. can't wait to see how it will turn out it's gonna be a huge project!

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I am on like donkey kong. This has to be one of the builds of all builds. I'm subscribed.

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

My imagination is running wild with this idea. I can't wait to see some progress here.

10. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

First progress:

I've decided to go with Tenecor for building the two tanks. They have the best price of the places I've checked and I have a Tenecor corner tank that I never used, but on which I really like the construction.

Order should be placed tomorrow.

The next step is closing on the house - need to make sure that happens :)

Also, I'll probably be getting the protein skimmer (or at least ordering it) when I travel back to Orlando to visit World Wide Corals (actually a client visit, but I'll take whatever chance I get to visit them - going back in Feb too!). I'll also probably pick out some additional live rock for the second tank.

Lastly, I'm also considering Aqua Illuminations LEDs for the SPS side of the tanks. Primarily this is because it makes the aesthetics 10 times easier. I'll be running T5s above the semi-reef side. I will be custom-making the lighting fixtures. It is tough to explain so you'll have to wait until I get them built. Suffice to say that, as with a bunch of the stuff I design, hasn't been seen before to my knowledge (and it will be really cool :) )

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Keep the info coming, sounds like you are on a great path.

12. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Awesome build thread subscribed and awaiting further updates.;)