Peredhil 55 Gallon Thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Peredhil, Dec 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Since I got coral now, thought I'd go ahead and start my tank thread.

I got really really nasty sick hours after I put these guys in my tank. It was horrible. Lasted through Christmas! But I think it was just a coincidence. So I'm late in posting my pics!!!

Let me start by saying I am calling these what the dude that gave them to me called them. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong in my names!!!! (Yip, gave! I didn't pay for any of these - I offered, even offered lunch; wasn't accepted. Rock on! So for those of you local to me, when these start getting big, I will more than happily give some of them away too).

First off is the Pom Pom Xenia. After two days, it is now pulsing and that is rad.

[​IMG]

Next is Athelia. This was looking nice, but today it's looking like this... rather flat and deflated. I will keep an eye on it.

[​IMG]

I am unimpressed with it. Rather drab looking, IMO.

Next is this neat looking little thing. He called it a Kenya Tree, but I'm not sure that is exactly right - if someone would confirm, that would be cool! It does match google images... not sure on color though.

It is green when it is 'asleep'. When it wakes up it gets kind of pink and huge. This pic is it waking up. It is inflating and changing its colors. It has done this two days in a row now. Very neat.

[​IMG]

Next is this mushroom. This stupid little thing. There were two of them. They were both rubber banded to one of those little frag stones. My emerald crab fricking pulled it out and walked away with it!!! :eek: I watched it do it. No idea it would do that. Took them both, one in each claw. As you can imagine, they were extremely difficult to locate/recover the way they easily move in the current. I ended up only finding one. I put that one back under the band and the next day it was out again but against this rock. So I am just leaving it there. No clue where the other one ended up. If it wasn't sucked up by my filter, I imagine I'll locate it growing somewhere I don't want it in a couple of weeks!

It is blue and pretty.
    [​IMG]

Here is a general tank shot with these free goodies added. There is also some free Green Star Polyps added that are extremely nice to look at. I got a quarter size scraping of that. I could not get a good pic though, but you can kind of make it out in this shot if you know where to look.

[​IMG]

The last thing to report is today I discovered one of my two Chitons died. :-/ I am bummed about that. I really like those. I don't think it is related to the new additions, but the timing is annoying.

Also, I got a refractometer for Christmas! HURRAY! And wonderful fishy gift cards. The idea of waiting between fish additions... does adding coral play into that as much? That is, since I just added this coral, how long should I responsibly wait before adding another fish? I generally wait at least a month between fish additions.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice coral additions! Wait time between corals and fish is you don't have to wait.
    As for Anthelia, when it is full and grows some it looks very nice, and even better than Xenia!
    Good luck!

4. extremeshocks87

extremeshocks87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Looks great have fun with the gift cards!!

5. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I love that texas "holey" rock (I think that's what it is)! It looks fantastic in your tank. I was thinking of getting some myself for my 160. Lookin good!

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

How did your salinity test in comparison to the "swing arm" hydrometer? Cool new stuff. You will hopefully be cursing the fact that you got any of those.;)

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Added an orange firefish. Neat little dude. Acclimated for about 2 hours.

Has been social from the get go. Disappeared through the night but was back swimming this morning.

Pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Oh man neato burrito. We're picking up some free frags from a friend sometime in the near future (I had no idea someone that worked with my dad owned a SW tank...oh happy day!) and he mentioned a "kenya tree". Seeing one in your thread got me all excited, because I honestly had no clue what he was talking about.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Got a pic of the GSP finally

[​IMG]

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm hoping so mission, I'm hoping so :helmet:

My Instant Ocean Hydrometer gave me a reading of 1.026 this morning and my Refractometer gave me a reading of 1.025.

I did the calibration on it, but it was exactly right from out of the box. I still adjusted it back and forth to play with it though :p

===

My phosphates read 0 again today. Two weeks in a row now. Might be a coincidence, but that started a week after I added the skimmer.

===

Also, I moved my tree (thinking it's a "Kenya Tree", but not 100% sure) to being toothpicked into the substrate. The pick wasn't holding in the rock after all. So I'll move it back in a week or two.

BTW - it's almost impossible to find plastic toothpicks. I ended up getting one with floss on the end and snipping it. My wife caught me right before I plucked a couple picks from her comb :eek: and sent me out to buy something ::)

===

Ordering a couple new power heads this week. I have 2 small dead spots that I want to nip before they become a problem.

1 person likes this.
  12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Stoked on the new present......