Norg's 20 gallon reef tank (in the making)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by norg., Sep 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys. I finally decided to post some pictures of my 20 gallon reef tank build. this tank is by no means finished. i am very unhappy with it, but that is no ones fault but my own. i have learned my lesson now. TAKE YOUR TIME! DONT RUSH! lol because of issues like that my tank is riddled with hair algae and had a bad case of suspended algae which turned my water a lime green for about a month. not to mention a cyano break out. everything that could have gone wrong basically did. alright here are some picures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    some corals.

[​IMG]
    six-lined wrasse and yellow tail damsel

as far as livestock goes i have a yellow watchman goby, a firefish goby, and my six-lined wrasse and damsel as mentioned before. i also have 4 hermits, an emerald crab, two nassarius snails and some other snail. he is big and likes to hang out under the sand. im not exactly sure what it is called.
    my corals include xenia, various zoanthids, various mushrooms, and colt coral. the list will be growing soon!

i am thinking about moving the inhabitants of this tank into a 30 gallon. that gives me a chance to drill the tanks and use the 20 as a sump and i would really like to rescape this tank. i got the rock as a gift so i didnt turn it down. it just looks too artificial for me. im not exactly sure yet but the change sounds good on paper to me.

i will make sure to keep you posted on my progress.
    any thoughts or comments appreciated! thanks guys.
    -norg.

2. Click Here!

3. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Looks great Norg! You are absolutely right about taking your time - much better results in the long term :)

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

6. supratt

supratt Fire Shrimp

for aquascaping this is what ide do...in the first picture, use the rock on the top left(the big one) as a base rock to support that shelf rock with the corals on it, and use the bottem right and bottem center one to build a little arch on the base rock. but honestly the best thing to do is just turn off the pumps and spend an hour messing with it. I really like the tank and good luck with it.

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

we all have problems with our tanks, you just seem to have more than most. perserverence is the way to go. YOU can do it!! keep it up and youll be fine man!!

8. Click Here!

9. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

10. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

That is a great start NORG! if you are looking for some cheap rock, there is someone on our local site selling some good ones for cheap. They should hive you a little more purple. Just keep doing what your doing and everything will turn out. Don't give up.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

haha. i could never give up on this hobby. i like it too much. i dont really understand how someone could just lose interest. but i guess everyone is different. i just know that fish keeping is something i will do for the rest of my life without a doubt. well first i better upgrade this tank! lol

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

this tank has just recently been taken down. the algae issues were just too much and i didnt have the money to fix it. i plan on using this tank as a sump for a 40 breeder reef setup in the future.