New 46 gallon Bow Front build: updated 5/23/10

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by coupester, Dec 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

First I'd like to say great site and community...hello! Found many many helpful threads... all the 46 BF crew ;D

Quick background-Used to have a 75 gallon FOwLR way back in the day and had to break it down due to a move. It was my first go at a marine tank and learned alot (need to learn alot more) Since then...haven't had a tank since 2004. Got married, bought a house... and so on;D

Present day - went to the local chain pet store to buy doggie supplies and while there "Why not...lets look at fish tanks". Wifey wasn't too thrilled since she new that any tank needs husbandry. We are both busy with our careers and she wasn't too sure I can handle work, house, and my continued studies. So, week later trip to the pet store and she said why don't we get a couple of gold fish..."I like those". Then that's when it door was slid open a little bit and she made me a deal. "If you can maintain a small tank...I will let you get a medium tank". Needless to say we bought a starter kit aquarium and bought 2 Lion Head gold fish. Happy to report the goldies are doing well.

FWD to 3 weeks later...did searches on CL and nothing really caught my eye. So a trip to the pet store aaaagian and looked to see what they had to offer. She liked the look of the bow front and they had a 46 on display. Saw the price tag...$184 with rewards card. A manager happens to walk by and so we ask the cost of the stand. To our shock she said "Oh...it's all together tank, light, and stand for $184" We knew better and of course didn't argue ;D So basically got a stand for free. I don't know If I should feel bad for not saying anything...but the person was a manager right? So as PufferChick mentions (I think we have the same stand) no room for a sump. Wife didn't know what she was in for...cost to set up one of these bad boys LOL. Tank is now in my basement...

So the buying begins and brings me to 3reef for research! So total of 4 weeks after buying the tank brings me to this stage. Caught a 30% off on the skimmer on black friday $100. I know you alllll love pics...so enjoy :)

I will keep updates the best I can and any new toys bought. Still waiting on what lights I want. So...hoping to learn alot from this community!
    Tank
    [​IMG]
    Equipment - AquaC Remora 1200 w/pre-skimmer, Rena 200w heater, 2 K1 powerheads, rock epoxy, digital timer w/alarm, acclimation kit, marine test kit and free with order-aqua gloves.
    [​IMG]
    50lbs Dry rock from BRS cooking in a 30/70 mix of vinegar/RODI (removing dead organics) freshwater for 1 week @ 90 degrees then move to salt for another 2. Water changes in between.
    [​IMG]
    Quarantine tank - Learned a valuable lesson from the past from. So I will be setting up a Q tank.
    [​IMG]

Maybe...just maybe! If do well with this build (keeping the fish and coral alive)...she will allow me to go way bigger. And I have the perfect spot for it ;D Hard to tell from the pics...but the space is large and was meant for a projection screen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

welcome to 3reef, and congrats on joining the 46 bow club.

And yup that's the exact tank/stand i have, got it at petsmart, and the stand sure does suck.

Can't wait to see the progress of a another 46bow, they sure are getting popular :D

Also are you planning on reef or fowlr? and what lights do you think your going to get

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

Nice looking tank, your gonna like the aqua c remora... I love mine. Welcome to 3reef. K++ for getting back into the hobby.

5. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

I'm shooting for a reef tank...just like the more colorful tank. So I'm turning 3reef for good guidance.

I know I'm going T5's but just looking around till a good deal jumps out. Trying to find savings to keep the initial cost down. Maybe just enough light to keep LPS.

I can't wait to put water in the tank;D

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i say look into the 4x39 t5ho tek from reefgeek. it's pricey, but soooo worth it, with this light you can keep anything you want, i love it

7. crazy reef love

If your getting a lighting fixture I would aim towards a fixture with Led moonlights. Its not very expensive but it sure is worth it. I love mine and think it was the best investment I made on my tank equipment wise. It gives you great night time viewing of your reef.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Welcome to the 46 bow club :D Other than a skimmer, what are you planning to use for filtration, if anything?

And it looks like you're doing everything right so far. Which is veeeery good. Do it right, and you won't regret it.

We have the Sundial T5 on our 46. It fits and works great, plus it's not as pricey, with moonlights (we don't use the moonlights, but they're there anyways :)) With it, you can keep most corals. We even have SPS in ours, but even though they're at the top of the rockwork with powerheads aimed at them, they barely grow. Although, small growth is still alot better than them dying.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

welcome to 3 reef coupester

your off to a very good start , nice looking tank

Steve

11. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

Thanks all for the welcome :)

Yeah...I think I like the idea of a moon light. Xmas is around the corner so I may ask Santa for the light (of course me saying which one) lol

I actually bought a Coral Life t5 2 lamp fixture and noticed it had a parabolic reflector vs individual. So going to return it.

As far as filtration. I was going to seed the dry rock with some live rock and take it slow while the biological catches up. Then use argra-live for sand So one small fish and wait...

If you all suggest something else let me know...regarding filtration.

12. crazy reef love

so far everything looks good, have you set up your tank so its running yet?