My tank setup

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by makinITwork, Dec 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. makinITwork

makinITwork Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

sorry for double posting ( I make a mistake)

This is the pic of my "wall-o-tanks"
    [​IMG]
    This is the tank on the far left. It's 35 gallon and has 14 seahorses and 5 pip fish.
    [​IMG]
    Main tank, "software is listed below"
    [​IMG]
    55 gallon tank has 1 dragon eel and 2 lion fish.
    [​IMG]
    So what makes it "crazy". Well, 1st I built the stands myself. The main stand is 100% done, the ones on the end are 80% done ( I got lazy). I also share water, heat and cooling (under the 35 gallon you can see the chillers). Here is all that I have...
    My Tank setup:
    Tanks:
    Primary “calm” tank – 135 gallon
    “Aggressive tank” – 55 gallon
    Seahorse tank – 35 gallon
    Heating, cooling, UV:
    With a Quietone 1200 pump, water is pumped from the primary tank, into a “Turbo Twist 36 watt UV sterilizer. The water then entering into a Hydor 300 watt inline heater and then finally passes through a 1/10 HP “Arctica Titanium chiller” and then finally the water returns back into the primary tank.
    ** For capacity (and redundancy) there are two circuits. ( 2 Quietones 1200, 2 UV Sterilizers, 2 heaters, 2 chillers ) I felt it better to use 2 smaller of each item, vs one large (so if there is a failure, something is still running)
    The temperature of the tank is controlled by a single controller medusa HC-100. Both heaters are set to 85 degrees and the chillers are set to 70 degrees. ( none of the internal thermostats are used, the setting are a backup incase the main controller malfunctions. The controller maintains 78.6 degrees. Heating and cooling kick in as needed.
    Filtering
    2 - Fluval FX5 canister filters on the main tank
    1 - Fluval FX5 connected to the 55 gallon, (the eel eats a lot, so he… a lot)
    2 – DIY Coil Denitrator’s
    2 – rena 200 air pumps
    How the tanks “connect”
    To take advantage of the existing cooling, heating etc, the tanks are connected. There is no additional filtering etc in 35 gallon tank, there is an exta filter in the 55 gallon.
    Water is pumped from the primary tank into the 35 gallon and 55 gallon tank with a quietone 2200 for the 35 gallon and a quiet one 3000 for the 55 gallon, the tanks then drain via gravity through a bulkhead back into the primary tank.
    Lighting:
    2 – (on the 135 tank) Current USA Satellite Power compact Lights (65 watts each)
    1 - Current USA 18 watt (35 gallon tank)
    1 – Current USA 36 watt (55 gallon tank)
    Power protection:
    The Quietone 2200 and the quietone 3000 that pumps the water from the primary tank to the 35 and 55 tanks is connected to a Xantrex power source 400. When the power is lost, these are the only item that are connect to the UPS. The water pouring back to the primary tanks from the gravity feed creates the water/oxygen exchange.
    Residents in the 55 gallon tank:
    1- Dragon Eel. ( also called jeweled moray eel )
    2- Volitan lion fish
    Residents in the 35 gallon hex tank
    14 Black Kuda Seahorse
    5 pipe fish African Bluestripe Pipefish

Software / residents in the main tank:
    2 – Medium yellow tangs
    1 – Hippo tang
    2 – firefish goby
    4 - Orange Stripe Cardinalfish
    4 - Pajama Cardinalfish
    4 - Ocellaris Clownfish
    3 - Percula Clownfish
    3 - bicolor pseduochromis
    1 – sailfin tang
    1 – blue spot naso tang
    2 – Anemones (long tentacle )
    Handful of snails
    Handful of hermit crabs

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

wow, really nice setups, how do you have time to keep all of those tanks, I find 1 tank hard enough.

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

killer tanks dude!!!!! what kind of filtration are you running on the horse tank?

btw i want a wall of tanks....not fair!

5. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

that is gorgeous

6. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

WOW! They are beautiful.

7. makinITwork

Thank for the coments. Technically, I don't filter my horse tank. I have a quietone 2200 that pumps water from the main tank. the horse tanks then drains via a bulkhead back to the main tank. ( I describe it above). the horse tank has not filter, no heat/cool. it all comes from main tank.

how to I find time. This next sentence some might not agree with ( but I do).

HARDWARE, that's how. In my years of having tanks (and years of making a LOT of costly misakes). I have found that within reason, the more hardare you have, the more the tank will do itself. Most day's I just sit and watch the fish. Since my tanks are "water connected" water changes are done from the main tank only. Lots of water flow, lots of filtration, 2 good heaters, 2 chillers, 2 UV lights help do all the hard work.

8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

10. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

That is a very nice set up you have. We need some close up pics. I want to see the sea horses.

11. makinITwork

[​IMG]

not the best pic ( my camera stinks) I will take some better ones

1 person likes this.
  12. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Hey I'll let that pic pass inspection. Very nice my friend. I love it. And the pipe fish are equally as awesome.