My 75 Gallon Rimless Tank Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by MarineHobbyist, May 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

Hey everyone, as I mentioned in the other thread, I'll be posting pictures and updates of my 75 gallon rimless tank build.

So just to give some background, I currently have a 90 gallon reef, 2 x 10 gallon nano tanks, a 50 gallon frag tank, and a hospital tank. So all in all, my monthly electricity bill is killing me.. :cry:

So I decided to cut costs and move all the livestock from my 90 gallon and 2 nano tanks into a 75 gallon rimless tank (48" x 18" x 18"). I chose this size since I already have 2 maxspects, a G2-170 and a G2-110, so once I move everything to the new tank, I'll be able to use just the G2-170 for the 75 gallon rimless, and use the G2-110 for the 50 gallon frag tank.

* I apologize for the poor quality of pictures, as I know nothing about photography. :p

Here's the metal stand + cabinet that I had custom made. The metal stand, I bought from a nearby LFS, and had a cabinet built around it to hide the stand. I also had metal braces attached to the back of the cabinet to support the lighting system.
    [​IMG]

I had the cabinet made with no backboard. It gets real hot here in the Philippines so I kept it open so that the sump will have an exhaust. Hopefully it will help keep the water temperature low.
    [​IMG]

I had the 75 gallon rimless tank built for me with 2 x 1" holes for the overflow, with a black acrylic overflow box, on the right side. And a 1" hole for the return on the left side. It's made of 1/2" inch super clear glass with black silicon for corners. I had an extra side-cabinet also made so that I'd have a place to put all my electronics, and extension cords, also a place to put my chiller when I have the chance to get one.
    [​IMG]

Since I have a smaller display tank than my old tank, I had a bigger sump made to be able to keep the same water volume. The sump is 50 gallons (36" x 18" x 18") with 3 chambers. The rightmost for the inflow, and to house the skimmer. The middle chamber for a deep sand bed and some additional LR. The leftmost chamber for the return pump, and some carbon.
    [​IMG]

I had just finished painting the back of the tank black, and also tried hanging the lights to the braces to check if it could support it, thankfully it can.

All LEDS turned on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only Blue LEDS turned on:
    [​IMG]

More pictures to come, as soon as I assemble the pipe fittings and purchase my new substrate. ;D

Thanks for viewing! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

Love it! I wan to build something just like that soon when my tang gets too big for my tank! I want to go from a 55 to a 90

4. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Looks good so far. Subscribed.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice!
    Great location and that is already a great looking tank. It's going to stun with corals.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Gorgeous setup congrats

7. monster

monster Bristle Worm

Where did you get the tank from -- looks awesome!!!

8. Click Here!

9. MarineHobbyist

Thanks everyone. :)

@monster - here in Metro Manila Philippines, we have one guy that we go to anytime we want a custom made tank. He's very popular in our local reef forum. He's pretty good, and not so expensive. That tank cost around 230 USD, including the sump, drilled holes, overflow box, and the main tank. ;D

10. MarineHobbyist

Some updates:

I redid the whole paintjob of the background. I wasn't too happy with the old one because there were a lot of drip marks. So I got the tank off the stand and redid everything. Used up about 5 cans of spray paint just to get it done, but it looks a whole lotta better.

[​IMG]

Did a leak test, and add my DIY Auto top off using a float switch + a small pump.

[​IMG]

Add the substrate. This time, I didn't opt for the fine grain sand. But rather used bigger sand so they wouldn't fly off due to the wavemakers.

[​IMG]

Did a minimalistic aquascape and started the acclimation of the fish from the quarantine tank using the drip method.

[​IMG]

The whole process of moving the rocks, sand, equipment and corals took about 5 hours, and the acclimation of the fish took about 8 hours.

Here are some images of the new setup now:

My true percula + 2 false perculas hosting on a carpet anemone
    [​IMG]

Here's my sun coral + some brains
    [​IMG]

Here's my green birds nest + some sps
    [​IMG]

Here are my chalice corals + my hawaiian yellow tang + flowerpot coral + some plate corals
    [​IMG]

Here are some images of my zoas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My fish
    [​IMG]

Front Tank Shot w/ wavemakers turned off
    [​IMG]

Front Tank Shot with all lights on
    [​IMG]

Front Tank shot with only blue LEDs turned on
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing! Comments and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  11. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Nice, can't wait to see some more corals under those LEDs!

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looks great, congrats