My 75 gallon build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by TORMENTOR, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

I set up my tank about 3 weeks ago, added about 75lbs of Marco Dry rock and 10 lbs of live fiji rock, 80lbs of dry aragonite and 10lbs of live sand.
    My tank has been cycling for 2 weeks now and I didnt have any ammonia in the tank for the first week even with adding a piece of deli shrimp so this last Friday I placed 6 more in my sump and I finally got a reading.
    As of yesterday my readings were
    Ammonia --.50
    Nitrite------.25
    Nitrate-----10
    Ph----------7.8, trying to raise it
    SG is 1.023
    Dkh is a low 7, trying to raise it also but I am confused as what is the best method if my calcium and PH levels are low.

This morning I tested the water again and my ammonia dropped to zero, my Nitrite is at .50 and my Nitrate is 10
    Ph is still reading 7.8 and DKH is stil at 7, with my calcium reading 320

Should I do anything now or wait it out? Should I try and bring my PH,DKH and Calcium up?

I included 1 picture of the tank since it started the cycle

Thanks Rich

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

i would go ahead get your parameters where they should be. imo no better time than now because of no live stock.
    visit bulkreefsupply.com they have good deals on calcium, alk, and mag. they also have a calculator on their website that tells you how much to add to acheive your desired levels. i would raise your calcium to around 400 ppm, alk around 12 ppm and mag around 1400 ppm. that is if you are going to have corals

4. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

that is some nice looking rock! did you have any problems ordering from marco? i heard alot of bad things about them, like bad service and taking forever to recieve your order. i am setting up another tank and was wanting to do the dry live rock thing too.

5. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

I ordered from marco a week ago and it shipped the next day and was here in about 5 days. No issues whatsoever

6. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Today March 2nd. I tested the water this morning and all readings are as follows... Sg.=1.023, PH=8.2, Ammonia=0, Nitrate=0, Nitrate=0, DKH=9, Calcium=320 but I am slowly bring it up along with the Alkalinity,
    Did my tank complete it's cycle or should I expect to see a spike again? The tank has been cycling since the 16th of February?

When can I put a clean up crew in to take care of the algae that is forming everywhere? Its not bad but it is starting to look rather ugly if you know what I mean...

7. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I would throw clean up crew in now and you might be close to end of main cycle. you might have smaller cycles coming up though. any new pics.

8. Click Here!

9. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Thanks, as for pictures I will have to snap a few off tonight when I get home and post them in the morning.

10. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Just be sure to add livestock slowly and preferably the small inexpensive ones first ;) lol There is alot of water so if you add slowly the ammonia won't build up to a toxic level even if you have a small cycle.

1 person likes this.
  11. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Next Sunday I will be adding some snail and hermits other than that that it until Iknow everything is stable, at that time I will begin to slowly add a fish a week. Woo Hoo I'm excited.

pictures coming tomorrow morning

12. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

As requested here are some pictures of my tank. Well the Marco Rocks anyways, just to show the Algae that is forming now.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      85.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG