Matt's 20 Long Nano Aquarium Video

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Matt's 20 long Aquarium

AQUARIUM DESCRIPTION-

20 Long with 10 gallon sump. (started 9/04) with DIY Rock, 70 Watt HQI Halide x 2 24 watt T5 actinics, Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi Skimmer, Tunze Turbelle 7200 powerhead. Precision Marine Calcium Reactor.

OBSERVATIONS:

Full disclosure...
    I found this aquarium to be incredibly demanding with it's small water volume. There was very little margin for error. I had constant issues with pH. If I forgot to fill the I.V. doser with Marine Buffer, the pH would start dropping rapidly. Another issue that I believe was related was valonia outbreaks. I had to really stay up on Magnesium as well.

After 2 years of moderate success and just when I was enjoying good coral growth, I screwed everything up when I lost my discipline and overstocked the tank with fish. First I bought a small Fox Face because I wanted to save it from the LFS where it was being constantly nipped by about 20 damsels in the small holding tank it was in. Fox Faces have no business being in such a small tank. Then after some cocktails with friends I bought a mated pair of Diamond Gobies. (Do not drink and go the fish store! :) Another crazy decision as I had to really supplement their diet with aggressive feeding since the sand bed was WAY too small. One of them ended up jumping out down the road.

So nanos aren't for me. I haven't slipped like that in years, but I realize I want a lot more than I can safely keep in such a small tank. After a couple business trips in which no dosing occurred, I lost my acros which had been growing. This greatly upset me. On the last business trip, I lost my foxface. At that point, as much as it pained me, I decided to shut this tank down. I practically gave it away to a local reefer who took the remaining fish and soft corals as well. He really knew his stuff and I was glad they went to a good home.

This month I nearly pulled the trigger on a 120 gallon setup, but then I got a letter from the landlord that he is raising my rent.

Now I am seriously considering moving onto a boat as many of my friends have around here in Northern California to save money. Expect a 'Help me to create a custom tank and holder for a sailboat' in the future. heh. lol.

Even though I am not home as much as I used to be and maintaining this site is more and more demanding, I don't think I can stop being a reefer for very long. :tongue4:

Some would call this 'airing dirty laundry' and I suppose that is true. But I am honest and I always hope that when I share my observations (and mistakes!) others will learn from it. That is what 3reef is about.
    :)

I hope you enjoyed my video! Share yours soon!

matt

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

Matt,
    So sorry about your tank. I found this site by accident on day last summer. It has changed my life. Seriously. With the help of you and everyone here, my tank and ideas have changed for the better. You have created a place for anyone with a desire for reef tanks to come help and challenge eachother. With all the reading and questions that I asked and got answered I have done here, I feel confident with going ahead on my tank. Life gets crazy sometimes but can you imagine ours without this place.

Keep reefin'

1 person likes this.
  4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Sorry to hear Matt. Losing stuff is tough. Hopefully everything will turn out ok and you will get a nice boat and turn it into a reef!

5. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Sorry to hear about that brother. I have yet to experience any substantial losses, because of my new passion for this hobby. As for your situation with your homestead you must remember one thing, Everything in life happens for a reason. You have done a great thing by creating this site, and I believe you will be taken care of. Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this great community!

-Jordan

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Oh Crap Matt sorry I didn't know you were going through such difficulties. So are you seriously moving to a sail boat? Were is the Turtle going?

Well keep us up to date on your plans.

J

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I know what you are going through as far as casualties are concerned! That sucks and doesn't play to well with your psychie or confidence...many a time I had thought seriously of throwing in the towel>but fortunately I didn't and on the contrary ended going to the other end of the spectrum - bigger and bigger tanks!
    Your knowledgeable so continuing on with the saltwater hobby should not be continplated!
    Get that bigger tank and make it flourish!!!
    Nice pep talk huh? I should coach the Minnesota Vikings...maybe they would do something instead of cutting the season short year after year to rent a cart and play the back 9 at Augusta!!!Hahahahaha

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Wow Matt, I never thought I would hear that you would take a break from the hobbie!! But from your story, it sounds like you had to. Life comes first. Let us know if the house boat comes through. And let us know how you get a reef going on a boat, lol. Again sorry to hear about your tank, but you can always get another. Good luck, and thanks for keeping this site going,

Michael

10. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Sh*t Matt.

Things will turn out OK. Do what you have to do for yourself. Take a break if you must. The forum is in very capable hands, there's a great bunch of people in here.

Nice vid :) ......maybe I'll shoot one of my tank and post it. (with any luck maybe even today).

The very best of luck to you buddy!

11. BlackWhiteYellow

BlackWhiteYellow Astrea Snail

I have as well had to break down my tank, but mine crashed because i did a dumb thing, i didn't have a quarantine tank and my moorish idol had been getting worse, it had been blind for a week at one stage and didn't eat for a week, but managed to survive after a few fresh water dips and began to put on weight. when it had started getting itch i decided to hyposalinity the tank to save the idol because it had been such a strong fish. anyways my tank has collapsed, the idol died with very high amonia, the black ribbon eel i had for over 5 months went 3 days latter he too was a very strong fish. the only survivor is a snowflake eel. i think i had itch from day one and it got the better of me. my tank started on 13/03/2006

But a new beginning for me is a good thing, while i made many terrible mistakes, and made risks with the choices of fish, i have learned a lot and it will be a while till i start the tank up again, it will give me time to prepare a tank with some good filtration and proper quarantine procedures. something i would stress to anyone starting... buy a quarantine tank first and while it establishes build the display.

I've left photos here for everyone. This is all that i have.

My Fish

Lastly to Matt, i know Its a big downer to break what you have worked on for such a period of time, but sometimes things have to be destroyed so that new things can take their place. i'm sure your knowledge has evolved greatly and where you began you would have seen things different to how you do now. So i'm sure that you will have a better tank in this new year.

PS. I think boathouses are mad. Here in Sydney they would be worth heaps. i would get one anyday.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

nice pictures! Ribbon eels are very beautiful...I had a Snowflake for along time til it died during my last house move recently!

Hang in there Matt!