Insane's Shallow Nano Build (Need overflow advice, stuck)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by insanespain, Sep 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I was going to wait to start this thread, but the excitement factor is just too high. I believe my other build thread is in my sig, that tank has been taken down due to several reasons. This is my BRAND NEW build where I get to fix all my mistakes with the old build. Tank will be a mixed reef with minimal fish probably. I will keep it short and sweet here for now, so here's the specs:

Tank - Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long rimless
    Sump - Standard 10 gallon
    Overflow - (to be determined)
    Lighting - 36 Rapid kit (rebuild thread on that coming later)
    Rock - Need suggestions
    Skimmer - Nano skimmer of sorts (looking at cad lights pipeless)
    Reactor - BRS deluxe (already have, looking to run biopellets)

And since this would be worthless without pics, here we go. Just got the tank and lumber this afternoon ;D

[​IMG]
    Mach by rspain85, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    mach2 by rspain85, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

Oh yeah, and since I've been away from the forum, I got an SLR and have been dabbling in photography on the side :pics:

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I like it, rimless and shallow and nano, right up my alley.

Very little rock IMO, put most of the rock in the sump if you want a lot. Tongan branch or BRS Pukani.

Think about the Tunze Doc 9002.

Very cool, congrats!

5. insanespain

Thanks. Definitely going with minimal rock. I was asking more along the lines of which type and where to buy from. I do love BRS Pukani. Do you have experience with the Tunze? That thing definitely has a slim profile.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yeah I had the Tunze and loved it. Very quite and efficient, rated for 40 gallons if I remember correctly. The only problem I have seen and experienced is sometimes the air intake needs to be un-kinked within the housing. As far as adjusting the height and intake I rarely had to do so. Worth the money IME, compared to other skimmers rated the same. The magnet however is extremely strong, strong enough to break glass, so that would be my concern.

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Definitely swinging me in that direction. All the reviews say its super quiet. Thanks for your input.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the new build and camera. I would get about 10lbs dry rock and a couple pounds live rock.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I think the tank after my 55 will be a shallow 100ish gallon rimless. Love the look, but concerned about fish jumping.

I think I will toy with hanging a low profile canopy from the ceiling to hide the lighting, but not take away the rimless look.

12. insanespain

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you give a number in LBS of rock. I literally had no clue, I've never ordered rock before, made DIY rock for the last setup.

That would be an interesting concept. I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that done before. And I agree, I love rimless tanks. And after owning a 24 inch deep tank, I will only run shallows from here on out. Maintenance on a deep tank just plain sucks.