Grim's Azoox Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Thatgrimguy, Sep 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

After having some success with SPS, I have decided I'm ready for a new challenge. I find the Non-Photosynthetic corals to be the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen. I'm looking forward to the challenge of Azoox corals and this thread will fully document my equipment, process and hopefully success keeping these sensitive invertebrates.

Tank: 65g (36x18x24) Custom Coast to Coast overflow with bean animal plumbing
    Lighting: 2 bulb Retro, ATI bulbs and a custom led with separate channels for each color 14 Royal blue, 8 violet, 4 red, 2 cyan, 2 green
    Flow: 1 Vortech MP40wes and a closed loop
    Closed Loop with 2 outlets split to 4 nozzles - Auto feeder will be plumbed into this CL so I can continue to feed even with the return off (Reeflo Blow-hole 3 way adjustable 2700gph)
    Filtration: E.T.S.S 1500xr downdraft skimmer (run by reeflo blowhole 2700), Ecoback bio pellets in SRO reactor, SM 100 vertical algae scrubber, BRS dual media reactor, and Auto Water change system (5 gallons/day)
    Return: Iwaki 70rt
    ATO: Tunze Osmolator with auto water change mod
    Control: Apex w/ WxM, Conductivity module, Breakout box, and plenty of power bars
    Dosing: Dr. Tims waste away and Eco balance on BRS dosers run by Apex (I seriously doubt I'll need to dose alk/cal/mag with my W/C schedule) If I find need for supplementation I'll hook up my GEO 818 ca reactor with digital regulator/solenoid and continuous duty peristaltic pump.
    Temperature Control: I will start with fans on the sump, then add them to display if not enough.. If I still need more then I'll get a chiller. (74 degree Fahrenheit is my goal temp)
    Feeding: I'm going to mod an Avanti 1.7 cu ft fridge to hold peristalic dosers / food and plumb my return through it and introduce the food through a venturi. I will dose at a near continuous basis during my viewing times and periodically throughout the day - rotifeast, Phytofeast live, oyster feast and I'll rotate these in the last (arcti-pods, FM products, WM Amino Acids) (still researching this)
    Other Notes: Bare bottom

The stand is FINE! - but this isn't the tank I'm going to use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going mod this canopy so that it sits on the tank, build some legs to hold it up high enough.
    [​IMG]

The sump has a ATO reservoir that will hold about 10 gallons of water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. jbb_00

jbb_00 Skunk Shrimp

Awsome setup , cant wait to see this all come together

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It's all looking great!

That's an interesting sump. Where did you get it?

Did you sell all of the livestock to one person?

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's a custom sump that was designed specifically for this stand to maximize the leftover space under the tank.

And yes. Sure did.. In one shot everything but a few pieces that I had already promised to others. $5k worth of livestock. He agreed to ship me a frag of a few of my favorites and a couple pieces that I have love affairs with once I'm back stable and this build is ready.

6. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I really like the design.

It must have been sad for you to sell all of that :( It's good to hear that you're keeping some frags though.

7. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

How did you do your overflow, I just picked a 40 breeder up and need some ideas for a cheap overflow!

Everything looks good!

8. Click Here!

9. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

wow great set up really i love how clean you are keeping everything, and i mean the clean look i know everything is new.

Btw the sump caught my eye the most. where did you get it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

That is a crazy sump!!!
    Looks nice

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Can you please get a couple of shots of the back of that door panel? How it attaches to the stand, etc. I am at a stand still with my stand build...trying to figure out how I want to do the doors. I want fully removable, but with the materials I used, it will be difficult.

Thanks!

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It's just 4 magnets like what keep closet doors closed.

[​IMG]