DIY 20 Gallon Long Frag Tank- No Sump

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Astrick117, Feb 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Hey Everyone,

I just got started with fragging corals and have had success with fragging my softies and zoas. I decided I want somewhere I can put my frags to grow, rather than on the sand in my DT (where they get very little light) and I have a few extra pieces of equipment lying around...

...So, I am going to make a 20 gallon long frag tank!

Since this forum is all about helping others, I am going to detail my build with instructions and pictures in case anyone else wants to do something similar.

As I walk through the process, I apologize, but I don't know how to include pics in the actual thread, just in the attachment boxes, so I will be making a post for each step.

2. Click Here!

3. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Step 1

For the frag shelf build, the only tool I used was a dikes or you can use a stony coral cutter. I highly recommend using a either of these options rather than a blade or hand saw as the cuts are much cleaner. PLEASE NOTE, that when you cut each piece you will essentially lose the entire row of blocks that you are cutting, as they will be left without one side on them= not very good for holding a frag plug.

I started out with a standard sheet of eggcrate (2' x4") and placed it on top of the aquarium to cut it to the proper size. I wanted it to fit as closely to the sides as possible, so I used the outside of the tank as the basis for my first cuts. (PIC1)

I then tried to place it in the tank, and see what types of adjustments needed to be made. The eggcrate is flexible, so you can actually keep it slightly larger than the opening of the tank, that way it fits snug to the sides of the tank once inside- I ended up cutting one row of squares from each side and it fit perfectly. (PIC 2 & 3)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Step 2

After getting the base piece finished to the proper size, I decided I wanted to build "steps" where I could place certain frags up higher in the tank, based on lighting needs.

As you will see, I decided to make shelves that only reach about halfway across the tank, as I am not doing a sump and will be placing LR on the left hand side.

To make the steps is actually very simple, you take a piece that is the same size (front to back) as the bottom piece. I used a piece that was half the length (side to side) as the bottom piece due to the live rock, but if you want it to extend throughout the entire tank, cut a piece the same size as your first. (PIC 1)

Next, you want to divide the piece in 1/3's from front to back. Once you do, you will cut along only one of the lines that separate the thirds- what you will end up with is a piece that is 1/3 and another that is 2/3. the 2/3 is your middle shelf, the 1/3 is the top shelf. (PIC 2)

Attached Files:

5. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Step 3

Once you have your shelves, you will need to create supports to hold them up. I've seen people use PVC piping, but I had more than enough eggcrate left over, so I decided to use that.

For my set-up, I wanted to ensure any deterius could fall and keep the tank looking clean, but did not want it to get stuck in each square of the eggcrate, as it would be difficult to "vacuum". As a result I added supports underneath to raise it slightly so that water flow would kick up any sediment.

I decided that 2 "blocks" would be sufficient. Due to the weight of the live rock that will be resting on top, I supported it with several braces. The easiest way to attach them is with zip ties, but I guess you could also use glue, just make sure it is aquarium safe. As you can see the braces are spaced apart to allow my CUC and Six Line Wrasse (planned pest control) to move throughout it easily. (PIC 1 & 2)

If you aren't placing live rock on top, you will not need nearly as much support.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Step 4

After the bottom is supported you can begin to support the shelves. I went with supports that have 4 blocks in height and extend from the front to the back of the shelf for optimal support. You can use the same height or different ones depending on your tank size.

I found it easiest to cut two full size support pieces and then use the same 1/3 and 2/3 principle to cut them to the proper size for each shelf. (PIC 1)

Once you have the supports, just zip tie them to the shelves, making sure that the supports are attached underneath each shelf, not to the side.

AND... your done! (PICS 2,3, & 4)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Neat stuff man. Should serve its purpose well!

10. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid