93 Cube

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Broaner, Jul 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

This thread will be a documentation of the pre-installation buildup and then growth and progress of my 93 gallon cube. The tank is a Marineland 93 Cube made by Perfecto. Its exterior dimension are 30x30x26. The actual dimensions are 29x29x24. So their claimed 93 gallons is probably more like 75-85 when all said and done. The tank was purchased undrilled so I could set it up exactly the way I want. That will mean 3 overflow pipes in a Herbie method. And two returns drilled through the back rather than over the top for a clean look.

Update: 2/3/12

Video's
    Upstairs and Downstairs vids of current set up. Still no 93 up and running unfortunately. More details on post #>>>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3xx...ad3ADOEgsToPDskIRfMJZOcuB87ibT8y6WDpz]Biocube 29 - YouTube

Update: Basement Sump - 6/6/12
    [​IMG]

And now the first pics of the build.

Here it is in the basement where I’m working on it. So far I've got two coats of Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black followed by two coats of full Gloss. I've been letting it cure for a full 7 days between each pair of coats. This week I'll do one more of Gloss Black and then one of Gloss Clear. I wrapped the paint around the edge of the glass so it helps to hide the ugliness of the seem.
    [​IMG]

A new bucket of Tropic Marin. I’ll be using this for my change water on my Biocube 29 and 29 gallon holding tank until the 93 is up and running.
    [​IMG]

And this is where it will be going.
    [​IMG]

Obviously 1300+lbs of rock, glass and water would splinter the existing kitchen table so... Plans of the new and improved kitchen table.
    [​IMG]
    I will be fabricating it out of 2x3” and 2x2” 3/16” wall thickness mild steel tubing. Originally I was planning on Stainless so it wouldn't need any paint but I've realized the expense of the material and fabrication is prohibitive. Since I'll be using mild steel I'll be fabricating it myself with my Hobart 180 MIG welder. Only thing left to finalize on the table plans are where to place the triangulating support pieces. After fabrication I will paint the frame of the table with Rustoleum enamel primer followed by Rustoleum Semi Gloss Black and then Painter’s Touch Pebble Finish spray in a grey and black color. The top will be a 80x44 polished granite slab. Color TBD...

Lighting: 30" AquaticLife 4 Bulb T5 w/ Moonlight to get the quarantine up and running(currently growing frags). For the DT I'm thinking LED's in an open top retrofit manner.

Quarantine: 29 gallon plumbed in with valves for easy isolation.

Sump: 75 Gallon converted to sump/fuge combo. (Roughly 45 gallons at running height)

Skimmer: SWC 180

Return Pump: Mag 24 w/ Intake Screen(Spare Mag24 on Hand)(Red Dragon Pump In the future)

Overflow: ~20" Calflo overflow with Bean Animal drain method. The 3 drain bulkheads will be 1". 1 will have a gate valve for flow control. The others will have regular ball valves.

UV: TurboTwist 6X on sparingly at first but permanently eventually.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You might want to stay away from the lobster, it will clean out the rest of your inverts and then go after your fish and corals.

Great start and plans.

4. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Thanks 2in10. I've got nothing but time waiting till I have funding so I figured planning it out well should save me headaches and hopefully money by being able to look for the best deals.

Yeah I'll be the first to admit I'm concerned about the Reef Lobster. I currently have it in a 29 long that I'm using as a holding tank for livestock. I've been watching to see if its taking out snails and hermits. If its constantly killing off my CUC it won't be going in the DT but rather back to the LFS for a credit. I got him for free from my LFS when they through it in with an AquaticLife 30" 4 Bulb T5. So, far I haven't been able to tell if its killing off things. And I've noticed two instances in which the Scopas got a nick in its lower sail and tail fins. Which brings me to...

Added to first post...

Lighting: My plan for the lighting aspect of this tank is complicated. First, I'll be using a 30" AquaticLife 4 Bulb T5 w/ Moonlight to get the tank up and running. I'm aware that this isn't enough light for the tank in the long run. My final plan for the lighting is not set in stone. I'm thinking LED's in an open top retrofit manner.

5. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Good news everyone. I bought a used sump from TeKitty. It is currently in transit from California. I'll post my own pics once it gets here but for now here is TeKitty's FS pic:

[​IMG]

Sump dimensions are 28" L X 12" W X 16.5" H

Edit: Have since traded this sump in for a used 75 which I'm converting to a sump fuge combo.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Looks like it will be an awesome setup! 29*29*24 = 20,184 (cubic inches) = 87.3766234 US gallons....

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Nice setup and glad to see you are taking your time. However, I did want to offer some advice on you livestock list. First, I don't think cycling with chromis is a good idea, especially multiple ones. IME, they tend to be not as hardy as other fish. They also need to be fed frequently due to their fast metabolism. You may want to consider a clown fish or yellow tailed damsel, one of my favorite fish, to cycle. Also, you posted you want 2-3 scooter blennies. These actually aren't blennies but members of the dragonet family and will feed on pods and other naturally occuring food in your tank. Unfortunately, they will quickly wipe out the population. I would not have more then 1-2 in that size tank and would only add them to an established tank. That is of course you can find ones that already eat frozen or flake food. Finally, the addition of the dwarf lion may not be a great idea either, especially if you are going for a reef. Not only will any shrimp be in danger, but smaller fish, such as the chromis and scooter blennies will be too.

8. Click Here!

9. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Thanks Guitarman I've currently got a Scooter that eats frozen so lets hope I get lucky with the next ones

New update. I've got my return pump situation figured out thanks to FaceOfDeceit. I picked up two of his Mag 24's. I'll be using the one that appears to be newest as my primary return pump and have the second as an identical backup. (Info added to first post) Mag 24's are rated at 1640 GPH at 5' head. I'll be running a UV T'ed off the main return line that will be using ~250GPH. I'm going to attempt to keep 90 degree angles to a minimum and I will be using eductors on the locklines

10. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Update!

Progress has been slow. I've been working myself to death for about a month to build a up a cushion as my two roomates move out. But now the stress is over and its time to enjoy my house all to myself for the first time since I bought it over a year ago.

This update shot is a first test of the camera on the iPhone4. I picked up some stone type paint and clear to go over the top of all the black. In retrospect I could have painted the first layer using this stuff to give it some interest before the coraline takes over. But oh well. The back is now painted. Time for drilling.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Not bad for a phone but I still want better.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

very nice! i just set up a 93g cube earlier this week myself! interested to see what you do with this :)

12. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Hey Dingo! You got any pics? Did you drill or HOB overflow? I just sent my email inquiry to Marineland to 100% confirm its not tempered. There is no sticker saying the typical, "TEMPERED - Do Not Drill!"