90g complete build. Stand, canopy, drilled etc.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by KY_Tanked, Jun 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

Thanks to everyone that helped answer questions so I could get this ball rolling!
    It all started a little over a month ago my 72g salt set up went south! I had purchased a Jebo HOB skimmer to save money and it the pump (get this) started a fire under water in my tank. It melted apart and and turned my water black in seconds. I was in the room on the computer when it happened (thank the Lord), but with out thinking my knee jerk reaction was to grab it and pull it out and I got a nice shock. My GFI tripped at that point. It did not matter the damage had already been done with in a couple of days all fish died.(2 clowns, Bicolor angel, Brown Tang, Lawnmower, and Royal Gramma.)
    So this left me stunned and thinking of PharmrJohn posts about buying cheap stuff....lol :-/
    So I got a 90g tank and began starting over. I did keep the 72 set up while I did this project. Replaced the water and clean up crew and eventually everything got back to normal. I wanted to keep the live rock going and the live sand so I could reuse this along with some of the new clean water. (this took about 3 weeks to get back to normal tests)
    So here goes the new build with picks!

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

lookin forawrd to your progress ky. good luck

4. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I started by building my stand and canopy. It cost under $200 to complete. I had most of the tools (even though I have never done anything like this before).
    Just remember this is my first time and I where a suit and tie to work everyday so this is way out of the norm!;D

Attached Files:

5. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Sounds great! Glad to hear your sticking with everything. Great pics! K+

6. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

Everything in my home office is black so I had to paint my new tank. Why did I buy stain grade trim!

Attached Files:

7. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I also wanted to paint the back of the tank So I never ever had the water running behind the paper again and then the salt drying! I used to cans of blue paint and on can of water resistant clear coat.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Looks good what kind of paint?

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

looks good so far.. Im def. subscribing to this thread..

11. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

At first I was just going to do an overflow box until I found Glass-holes web site. I was worried about drilling at first, but I thought it would be worth it if it cut down on the noise level. I got the glass holes 1400 gph overflow box. I was worried about it being to much flow but I just added a ball valve to cut that down.
    It only took me about five minutes a hole and it was so so easy! The kit was great and their videos online "how to" made doing it simple.

Attached Files:

12. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I just went with an all purpose pool spray paint. It could be toxic if it got in the water but the clear coat should stop this from happening.