55g Work in Progress, w/pictures new aquascape and sump

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Zgetman, Jun 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I finally did it... On Wednesday I bought a 55g Aquarium and stand for $100.00. It came with the hood, lights, HOB Filter, and a Heater.

What are my plans you ask?
    Well let me tell you. My build is going to be in steps.
    1. Buy the tank. Completed
    2. Figure out what I type of aquarium I want (research as much as I can about the Hobby). Still Researching, FOWLR to start
    3. Clean tank and prepare for live sand and rock. Completed
    4. Order live sand, rock, sea salt, and wavemakers. Completed
    5. Aquascape my live sand and rock. Completed
    6. Fill with salt water, place wavemakers and turn them on to start cycling. Completed
    7. Research more about the type of CuC and fish to place in tank after cycle is done. Still Researching
    8. Purchase RO/DI unit. Completed
    9. Purchase CuC, and fish.Purchased a Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish, Purple Dottyback, and a Peppermint Shrimp
    10. Purchase or Build better stand Completed
    11. Purchase protein skimmer Completed, AquaC Remora
    12. Build Sump Completed w/Refugium
    13. Research types of coral I want to have.
    14. Purchase lighting.
    15. Start purchasing Corals
    16. Research more about reactors and other products on market.
    17. Adjust my setup and upgrade in the future.

I think that is it. This plan will be done over the next year or two, and I will try to keep this thread updated with pictures. First set of pictures are on their way.

Tell me what you guys think and any opinions will be carefully thought about.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Great news mate. Welcome to 3 reef and welcome to reefing!

4. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Are you going to drill it? Get a sump? Have you decided on hardware etc?

You should get an RODI BEFORE YOU FILL IT!!!! OTHERWISE YOU WILL REGRET IT.

And I would also get a protein skimmer before you add fish.

5. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

1 all the equipment the tank came with.
    2. The tank
    3. The stand
    4. Cleaned and background painted.

Attached Files:

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

It is all tempered glass, so drilling is out of the question. I knew the sump would subject would come up. It is just not practical for this stand and tank. RO/DI system is out of the question until later on. Other wise it will be 2 months before I can fill it with water. I have been looking into getting the protein skimmer before a refugium, but not sure if it is that important.

7. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Your stand really doesn't seem saltwater friendly. If you aren't going to get a sump, where are you going to store the hardware? or what are you going to use for filtration for that matter?

This is going to cut down what corals you can keep later on and how successful your tank will be overall.

If you fill it with non RODI water the algae is just going to have a field day and you will be forever fighting it. Trust me. If you have to wait 2 months do that. Then wait another 2 months whilst its cycling to get a good protein skimmer. The usual rule is get a skimmer that is rated above the tank size you have. Mine is rated to exactly 55g and could arguably be way bigger and it still takes up huge space. A hang on the back skimmer isn't going to cut it for a 55g.

A hang on the back refugium... yes might do a good job. But in terms of filtration, without a sump you are limited to a cannister filter for filtration. In marine tanks cannister filters are just nitrate factories and will most likely crash your tank with age.

I think a sensible thing to do would be to get a pine stand, dress it yourself, and get a hang on the back overflow down to a sump (Doesn't have to be big), that can fit your protein skimmer, refugium and return pump. Down the line you might want to add reactors which require additional space, but can be hung off the sump.

I think to begin with you definately need to have a long look at where you want this tank to go. And in terms of priority purchases to me it would go RODI, Skimmer, Refugium. But I am still of the belief you should ditch that oval stand and get a square that can hold a sump :).

PS. Go slow! Nothing happens overnight. And this really isn't a cheap hobby. Its better to save and do it right to save you heart ache. Trust me I know.

To get an idea you could have a look at an old video of mine of the first post of my build thread, the second half of it goes through my filtration set up etc. Then you can go to the end of my build thread and look at my new video :p.

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I tried to get rid of the stand, but guess what. I am not alone in my household and my boss said she wanted the short stand, due to it makes viewing the fish easier for my 2 year old son.

Enough said on that subject. :p

Just because I said I wasn't getting a RO/DI system yet doesn't mean I am not using RO/DI water. I plan on using a HOB filter and HOB skimmer. Those, along with my Wavemakers should give me enough GPH to filter the whole system. At least that is what I have read.

I know that the hobby is not cheap, but that is also why I am planning this all over the next 2 years. There is no telling what direction I will go in the next year. Nothing is set in stone.

10. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

We all know about that hahhahahha.

Fewww ahhaa. As long as you are using RODI. In my opinion, and others can comment on this, but a HOB filter and HOB skimmer will only ever be enough for Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR).

That being said there are some sweet FOWLR set ups out there. Especially the predator/aggressive ones with small lionfish etc.

11. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I my reef setup is at least 8 months out, with that being said I have a lot of time to study and try and fix up my system. Maybe I can even be able to talk the wifey into a better stand by that time. lol

12. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Regardless, good luck in your journey :). All the 3reefers will help you out no matter what way you choose to go :).

Look forward to more pictures.