55g - just getting populated!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Kevo, Jul 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevo

Kevo Astrea Snail

Sorry for the crap cellphone pics...

Tank has been up and running for about 6-7 months.
    2 chromis - been in since the beginning to jump start the cycling process
    1 six-line wrasse
    1 firefish
    1 yellow tang
    1 puffer (don't remember specifics, just bought him yesterday!)

Cleaning Crew
    2 Turbo Snails
    2 Blue Legs
    1 Sea Urchin
    2 Small Crabs

Almost done with my population of fish, picked up one mushroom coral yesterday from the store to see how it goes, if everything is fine then, I will add more soft corals later.

Also are there any negatives to the mini-jellyfish?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

nice lookin tank kevo. and good variety of fish. but in my opinion , iw ouldnt be adding more fish. i think youre at the limit in regards to them. especially with the tang . but you could use more cuc. keep up the good work

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

With the one exception of upside-down jellyfish, they require a special tank called a kriesel. Captive Jellies

5. scubba.steve

scubba.steve Coral Banded Shrimp

If your going to be adding corals i would recommend removing the puffer

6. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm not sure on this this, but i had thought that upsidedown jellies prefer no to have a kriesel. Kriesels are to keep the jellies suspended in the water column; upside down jellyfish just like to lay upside down on a sandy bottom, in a tank with few obstructions. They are the only kind of jellie that i know of that does this. Someone please set me straight if this is wrong.

Species Profile: Upside-down Jellyfish (Cassiopea sp.) in the Home Aquarium | That Fish Blog

But in any case, they are not for that aquarium.

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

you are going to have a really hard time keeping corals or other inverts with your puffer.

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

it says with the exception of the upside down jelly meaning the same thing that you said

10. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

The puffer u have is a porcupine puffer they get pretty big. And inverts dont stand a chance. i had 1 for 2 days he destroyed my turbo's and cliped a hermits claw...besides that the tank looks great.

GL

11. Kevo

Kevo Astrea Snail

We were told that the puffer would go after shrimp & soft corals mostly and our tank is shrimpless and we don't have the lights to support hard corals. Is that not correct? We are pretty much done adding fish, might throw in 2 more chromis or clowns but that will be it. Mostly going for soft corals now, use this tank as a TV for my 8 month old daughter!

[​IMG]

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The puffer will out grow that tank and will eat snails and hermits as well. It also is a very messy eater, so make sure you have a skimmer and filtration system that's up to par. Also, make sure to feed the puffer things that are tougher to wear down it's ever growing beak, such as shrimp with shells on them.