55g craigslist tank resurrection

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by ATC, May 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

Only been in this hobby for about 8 months now, first got a 10g from petco did the freshwater thing for about a month til I got my current 55g from a random on craigslist.

tank stand and canopy looked like this when i got it(tank had sat outside for 6 months in the grass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well that just wouldn't do so I sanded and restained the pine stand and oak canopy, the pine was a pain in the butt. also used some chemical glass cleaner called "glass scrub" that has had no ill effect on my fish. Wiped it down with rubbing alch before i put water in which brings me to what it looked like after filling

[​IMG]

the glass was still a little dirty so i claned that off, the crappy c-360 leaked so i only use the in tank sumps now. also those koralia 3's were too much for just FO so i stepped down to the 1's which are working beautifully

finished product

[​IMG]

have 2 blue damsels and a coral beauty angel. waiting a bit before i get some more fish, tank just finished cycling 2 weeks ago after 2 months of adding amonia. added the 2 damsels towards the end of the cycle during the nitrite peak and they have done fine, they are very vicious too.

I am moving within a year which is why i went FO. once i setup permanent residence i am planning on switching to reef. and yes, i do hate the fake decorations the tank came with.

hope you enjoyed this, i definately enjoyed repairing the tank and redoing the stain on the wood.

-ATC

5 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

nice restore atc. full marks on your hard work. a touch of K for it. lol

4. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Wow, job well done.

5. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

6. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

wow impressive resto job. i could never do something like that. gj

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

nice looking tank ATC , massive improvement on how it started

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Great job on the restore. Thats a 55g? Looks bigger! That is the weirdest 55g tank I have ever seen. Does it have dual side over-flows? I think thats an over kill if it does. Never the less, you did a great job. Luna

10. ATC

ATC Astrea Snail

yea it has dual trickle filters, little old on the style but they work very well. i've got 2 gallons of bio balls in each side with foam on top so my balls dont get dirty, also a dispersion plate so the water hits all the balls.

got a mj1200 in each side for return water. i was a little stricken when i first saw the tank, but figured why not.