Hello from PA

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by OPForest, Apr 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Hey everyone. Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm from Lancaster pa. Looking to start a new setup sometime in the near future. Haven't bought any equipment yet and am just doing lots of research.

Im wanting to do a marineland cornerflow 75G with a custom overflow box. Beyond that, I'll probably use a custom 30G sump. I definitely want to have different types of corals and inverts but I'm not sure what yet.

Anyway I have loads of things to learn and usually read more than I post.

-Andrew

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef Andrew! That is a perfect size tank to start with :)

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

welcome to 3reef and agree with the above ^^^

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Andrew and welcome to 3reef.

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Welcome to 3Reef! There is a lot of knowledge in the heads of the people on this forum, so never hesitate to ask questions.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to the forum and the hobby!

8. Click Here!

9. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Thanks everyone. Years ago I had a tropical 55 gallon and everything I learned was from books. It's amazing what a difference 15-17 years makes.

I think one of the most difficult things I'm having trouble with is a light. I want LED but I don't want to spend 2 weeks pay to get it. I think I've narrowed it down to one ofthe following 3 choices:

1: 2x DM-55e lights from reef radiance
    2: Photon 48″ from reef breeders
    3: 2x Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED

Any opinions on these choices?

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

These are just my opinions, so don't go just off of what I say. But my thoughts are below:

1: 2x DM-55e lights from reef radiance - Too many reds/orange; too many whites, not enough blues, not enough "UV".

I prefer the units that have the ratio Reef Breeders uses in their value fixture, or very close to it.

2: Photon 48″ from reef breeders - Would be a good choice, and my pick out of these 3.

3: 2x Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED - These would work too, but then you would still need a controller and two would be more expensive then just one Photon 48.

11. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

So if I wasn't worried about the difference in price from the photon to the onyx, would that be your choice? I like that the onyx has hookups for an apex or other external controller and until I were to get one there is a manual controller for 30$

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Tough one. Photon is one unit, so one power cord, only one light to hang. But bulky compared to two Onyx. Moonlights on the Photon is a nice feature, though not necessary. Being able to dim the red/"UV"/green on the Onyx is a better feature IMO, as you could easily add moonlights. I give the Onyx a little more as far as aesthetics, though the Photon doesn't look bad either. Being able to change settings on the unit itself vs. having to reprogram a controller is nice and preferred IMO.

So basically, I am no help at all.