Hello from Australia!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Lulu, Aug 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lulu

Lulu Plankton

Thought we would say hello as we are new to this forum! :)

My partner and i have had a freshwater tank for a few years now and have just done the switch to a saltwater, fish only tank! This is the most addictive hobby that there is!! We've got the whole family into it now!

Our saltwater tank is 380 Lt ( 100 gallons) and currently home to 20kg live rock and a pair of black clowns ( percula). We've cycled the tank and just left the live rock in their for about 2 months for it to stabilise until we added our first fish yesterday!

We are super excited to add more fish but are of the thought "take it slow.. the slower the better" so will be adding some more live rock and then monitoring before adding more fish.

Fish on our potential list include:

Blue tang
    Fairy wrasse
    Blue chromis
    Coral Beauty
    Yellow hawaiian tang
    Royal Gramma Basslet
    Mandarin Goby - I love these guys, okay for fish only tank though??

What do you all think of these potentials? Im still google-ing and researching them all.. ive read the Fish of the month info on some of these!

Love this forum, have been reading it since we decided we would make the switch from fresh to saltwater. You guys know so much about the hobby and its so helpful as a newbie!
    ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd give the tank a 3 to 4 week rest in between new additions to allow time for the needed bacteria to grow in numbers to handle the demand of the new fish addition and do the same with ever new addition and cut the skimmer up now and let it roll. get all the parameters stable and up to proper numbers

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Welcome Lulu. Sounds like you've done a lot of research.

Be careful when you add more LR to ensure the rock is fully cycled before adding it to the display tank. You wouldn't want to start a mini cycle in the Display.
    You fish choices look really good. As you know the Mandarin is a very picky eater so I would wait until the copepod population in the tank is well established that could take up to a year.

J

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG] To 3Reef!!!

Good to see another from the land down under.

You are absolutly right about this being an addiction. Think of 3Reef as your support group.

Jason is right about the Mandarin. Many starve to death because people put them in tank too soon.

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

WELCOME. Be aware, you may start as a fish only but may get pulled into a reef in no time. My hubby wanted a fish only and within 2 months decided to go reef. Keep this in mind. Have fun, go slow and enjoy. I wouldn't go with a dragonette, they are short lived even in an established tank. They are the one fish that shouldn't be distributed in this hobby, better left in the wild.

7. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Hello, Welcome to the 3reef.... I agree with jason i would not attempt to add a mandarin until ur tank is matured with a good copepod population...mandarins are also a shy fish and they get stressed around some of the more aggressive species of fish. I would add a refugium personally and that should be a serious breeding ground for some pods.

8. Click Here!

9. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Gday and welcome fellow australian!!!:)

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef, glad to have you aboard.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hi mate, glad to have you aboard. Get ready for a bombardment of info. These guys know to much;D cheers;)

12. Breed

Breed Feather Duster

Yes!!! Another aussie to show these bloody yankies what reef keeping is all about! haha

Welcome to 3reef and dont be afraid to ask any questions!!

And good luck with the tank!

I love the fish list, and would make for a colourful display!

PS. Go Reef! You will never turn back or regret it :)

Cheers,

Breed

1 person likes this.