Addition of Canister Filter==> Fish LoSS pls HELP

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Reefboi, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

well yea,, jus added ma 185 gph canister filter to my 10 gallon tank yesterday..;D basically jus scrubed the tank and got out all the waste and brown so called "algae" (which i know its not exactly algae) so the water was crystal clear after 2 hours and then it started to get a bit blurry and white(jus like druring the first few days when u add the sandbed) but i was like naww its gonna be fine.. n the fish was doing jus fine for the first 4-5 hours that i monitored him to see if he'd be ok with it and all.) he was ok actually(its actually my poor cycling fish, its a blue yellow tail damsel) hahaa i feel so badd forr these guys :pp ...... so woke up the morning after-->> the water was ALL blury ,like realllyy white n blury (jus like the second day after adding sand) i assumed it was the sand that was picked up by the biggg floataion of water in the tank and soo looked to find the fish.. he had his own special places always that was hard to find him in.. n so after looking and looking i found him stuck under the tips of the rock.. Basically have no idea of what to do at this point besides just testing the water .. im sure its not nitrate levels or anything jus cuz i had to add about 4 gallons of water to the tank jus yesterday since the filter sucked it all in.. PLEASE HELP.. and also let me know if we could chat on messenger instead or somethin.. it would jus go by faster, but its fine here too ;) txx

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Reading that post made me really tired :D How long has this tank been set up for?

4. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

hehee srry, ma first time actually postin..wasn sure what to include and what not to include.. its been set up for a month now. 6lb of live rock .. had only one damsel in it..

5. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Did you rinse all the filter media and parts thoroughly before turning it on?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

When you "scrubbed" the tank, did you move the rock around and stir up the sandbed?

"White" water usually means that you're experiencing a bacterial bloom so if you messed with the tank too much, you might have killed off alot of your bacteria. Or if you stirred up the sand, it might just be clouded from that?

7. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

yes i did.. i washed all the tubings and everything before installing it into the tank.. and led it dry for like 20 mins or so..

8. Click Here!

9. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

i did mess the sand just LITTLE .. lol never thought it might cloud the water soo much.. it was just a small part of it.. didn move the rock or anythin tho.. couldve the water flow killed the bacteria by jus moving the sand around a bit?

10. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

i forgot to add the fact that i already had 3 gallons of ready saltwater and added about 1 gallon of tap water mixed it with the one that had been ready and aerated.. tested the salinity and temperature than i added it to the tank kinda slowly.. after adding about 2 gallons of it i added some instant water conditioner to the water in tank and some to the water left in the bucket... i thought that he'd do fine.. since he's hardy and everything.. and he did for the first 4-5 hours that i saw him.

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I think what I read is that you put a cannister filter on a 10 gallon tank and scrubbed the glass, mixed the sand, moved the rocks around, etc. The tank was clear in 2 hours, but then became cloudy. After that you discovered a fish died. Is that right?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  12. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

Again, I'm sorry for the format I wrote it in. Yes, I put a 185 gph canister filter on a 10 gallon tank. I did not scrub the tank or anything, I meant that the filter cleaned the tank so good that it was as if I had scrubbed it really good. I did not fully mix the sand, I only moved a thin layer of the sand of a small section (about 3cm in radius) and I did not move the rock around or anything neither. The Tank started to become cloudy. The next morning It was VERY cloudy and the fish was dead.