What sand, if any, do you run?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Optimist, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

I had all fiji rubble from boxes of Fiji rock that had fallen off. Then it looked too cluttered. I put the rubble in the fuge because "why waste?" and put live sand from a store in Tampa that used to aquaculture legally off the coast here in Florida. I have over 150#s in a 55 gallon tank and 55 gallon sump. (150g busted). So with like a 4" sand bed in both I was thinking... combine the 2 and make a deep sand bed (DSB) with rubble in my fuge/ sump and I have this sand that looks like play school sand or sand box sand.... It looks really clean but unsure if the smaller particles will be a disaster when I set back up over seas.
    Anyone with play school type sand? Do your sand sifters do a good job of keeping it white? Do they keep it broke up enough where it doesn't clump and solidify? I have alot of flow in my tank and don't want to make a sand storm or have it solidify and get all nasty... Opinions??? What do you run, if any and do you like it? Have you tried play school type sand?

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

make sure its the non silicate sand. if you use play sand. very important.

4. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

bahama oolite from agralive

5. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

hmmm... I got it from a guy who had a fish only tank that I took down for him. That is a good point... maybe not worth losing my corals to a guess. I'll probably toss it and buy new sand... if I knwo it wont make a sand storm.
    Thank you for the reply!

6. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

It really depends on how fine the sand is. I have very very fine white aragonite in my 55 and I do have to be carefull not to aim a powerhead too far down or i end up with a bare spot on my tank floor.