Stuff growing on my sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by tjacobs713, Nov 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tjacobs713

tjacobs713 Plankton

I have some stuff growing on my sand...

In one corner of my tank there is some pink stuff growing on my sand. starded in the sand now its on top and is clear on the other side of the tank now too.

also in the middle of my tank i noticed so black furry-like stuff growinf on my sand. and it was growing in diameter. when i went to remove it because i didnt think it was attractive it actually created a layer or a barrier. it peeled right up. i tried to remove it all. there is more growing in more places.

i will try to get some pics up here in a moment...any thoughts...im thinking the black stuff might be a type of sponge but its ugly and the pink stuff could be algea but im still new to all this.

if i try to remove some of this stuff and put new sand on top do you think it would continue to grow.

thanks..and all my stuff is still testing out good

2. Click Here!

3. tjacobs713

tjacobs713 Plankton

here are the pics the first one is of the pink stuff where it first started growing... the second is out emperor angel just to show (we just got him).... third pic is both the pink and black stuff clear on other side of tank

camera didnt upload other pics gotta find them

Attached Files:

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

do you have crushed coral or sand bottom? looks like it might be cyanobacteria

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Can't tell from the pictures but the description sounds like cyanobacteria. Reduce your feedings and increase the flow in your tank with additional powerheads. If you aren't doing so already use RO/DI water for top offs and water changes.

6. tjacobs713

tjacobs713 Plankton

we have a sand....not the super fine sand it had small pieces of crushed shell or rock/coral or whatever in it too. we bought live sand when we set up our tank.

7. tjacobs713

tjacobs713 Plankton

what is cynobacteria? are you talking the pink or black stuff? is it good or bad?

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

like said before, it is probably cyano... it will go away with less feeding and more flow, that usually always solves it.
    I have found that crushed coral usually holds more food and then more cyano can grow

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

pink stuff is cyanobacteria, it is actually an algae that grows... if you google it you will find a ton of good links.
    as far as the black stuff I do not see what you are referring to

11. tjacobs713

tjacobs713 Plankton

Update

the black stuff is taking over my sand....when i get a powerhead will it go away...any ideas what it is...when i remove it it grows back

Attached Files:

12. tjacobs713

tjacobs713 Plankton

Just FYI just got done testing water nitrite and nitrate both at 0 ammonias somwhere between 0 and .25 alk norm ph 8.2