is my sand live?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by BluePhish, Nov 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

hello, ive had my tank up now for almost 2 months, the initial cycle was done about 2.5 wks ago, i then added a scooter blenny and 3 hermits, i then had another slight cycle lasting about4 days, ive now got zero readings for about1.5 wks. I realized i did not use live sand to start, it was dry carib-sea aragamax. i have about a 2 inch sand bed 30 lbs, its a 44 gal corner tank.i was wondering would my sand be considered LIVE? since i went threw the cycle already. im asking because i want to add another 10 lbs. and was wondering if i should use a bag of live sand, or should i just use dry sand again since my current sand should contain the nitrifing bactieria already.

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

all live sand is sand with bacteria. So yes, you have live sand now.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Your sand will "seed" any new sand you add. Don't spend any money on "live" sand now.

5. BluePhish

url]thanks. good thing i asked befor i bought that bag.

is it ok if i ask a quick LR question. i probly know the right answer i just want to dub check. with my tank how it is right now, would my tank cycle again if added like 2 or 3 pieces of lr? My lfs( saltwater only store) sells cured LR. and uncured. its decent size pieces that are very light. check out thier website they seem pretty dedicated. i would buy cured LR of course.Welcome to WWW.SALTWATERPARADISE.COM! they are about 5-10 min from my house, so die off i expect would be very minimal?look at thier virtual tour. i am not in anyway affiliated with them.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i doubt it would cycle enough to notice by adding only 3 peices of lr at a time.you can take a bucket of saltwater for them to put it in and have even less die off.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

If looks like they are doing good job of curing LR in shop...should be little to worry about adding to current tank. You are right, by look of web site they look like a very reliable source. But as with most LFS's you will learn if so over time.

Good Luck!

8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

thanxs again
    cant wait to pick out the new pieces! ill post tank pics after i finish my diy hood.let you all see what you help me create.