deep sand bed

Discussion in 'Sand' started by nemo1991, May 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

i am setting up a 135, 6 ft long, 18 inches wide,
    i am planning on having a 3-4 inch deep sand bed, what kind of clean up crew do i need to clean the sand deep down in there? i dont want anything to disrump the live rock on top though since it will be a reef.

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

some lawn more blenny's, sand sifter star, coral banded, sea serpent and some wrasser fish,
    like Bogie's

4. reeferjo

reeferjo Plankton

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU ADD "SAND-SIFTING" ANIMALS SUCH AS BURROWING SEA STARS OR SOME GOBIES. These animals are "sifting" the sediment to eat the sand critters that you need to have thrive.

5. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

then what should i add?

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd worry about that if you didn't have a DSB.

7. reeferjo

reeferjo Plankton

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

3-4" does not a deep sand bed make. For a "true" deep sand bed, you need at least 6" of sand. That being said, for my own reasons, I would never use a deep sand bed in my systems. Been there, done that, still have the post card. Also, I don't like to have rock sit on top of the sand in any aquarium. All it takes is one burrowing animal to send your rockwork crashing down.

10. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

I agree, my tanks only about 6 months old but my sand is super clean. I have about 3-4" sand bed. I use about 15 hermits to do my dirty work. My clown also fans the sand w/ his tail all day long. In addition to that, I give it a very slight stir, more like a fanning, every time I do a water change, just to get some of the bigger particles suspended so they can be sucked out.

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

i use snails, but when i sit in my rocks i put them on the glass then poor the sand around them, alot more stable, i usually never go more than 3" deep either though

12. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

Yeah I use snails too, but i rarely see them on the sand. Either on glass or rock.