Alot of Different Answers????

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jzenob, Oct 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

So Ive been getting alot of different answers...I am moving my 90 into my 150 soon and I wil be replacing my CC bottom now...with new dry sand in my 150...I will be using the same live rock....Will this still cause my tank to cycle????

2. Click Here!

3. HardOn

HardOn Guest

Just go bare ass like l did (barebottom) best thing u can do without cycling the tank again.i think it looks really cool,kind of modern looking tank.;D

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

If you put in the live rock first and add inorganic(dead) sand after you will be fine.. It will take some time to become live but it wont be a problem.. Just dont use your old substrate, that would be terrible..

5. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

i would say that you will have a mini cycle but nothing to worry about. i speak from expierence with my 72 to 150 swap. i will say i reused all the sand from my 72 and added more. i also will say i have lost nothing as of now and it has been 3 weeks or so.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

+1 i agree with bama on this one!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think you will be ok if you keep a lot of water in addition to the rock. You could do the old school trick with putting some of your CC in a filter sock or panty hose and leave it in the tank for a while until it 'seeds' the new sand. Then simply pull it out down the road.

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

cool trick.. you learn something new everyday..

10. jzenob

what if I put a bunch of my CC bottom in my sump in filter bags?

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I believe that this would still work, but someone correct me if im wrong, but a closer contact area between old CC and new would speed up this process..

12. jzenob

Has any got this "Aquarium Live Sand 40 lbs Florida Aquatic substrate" off ebay? its only 9.99 and 15.00 for shipping? anyone use this stuff before I am debating this!!