Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Discussion in 'Salt' started by adam, Nov 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I read that TM Pro reef can cause diatoms and film algae. Has anyone ever experience this? I do have a little diatom thing on my Pink Birdsnest. I dont think its from the salt but not totally sure either.
    Adam

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I have tested many salts and yes some have residual PO4 and the like, TM Pro is IME not worth the $$. I personally use Red Sea, not as expensive, tests good and worth the $$ even though its not German:)

4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

For years I only used Instant Ocean but a friend in the bet store hooked me up with a bag of RedSea and It worked OK I would use it again.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Instant Ocean is nice for two reasons, cheap and brand recognition, other than that it is lousy. I wish I could formulate my own salt but until I work form some Aquatics conglomerate or have a pHD in Marine Biology I will just report on the salts out there

6. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

yea i just read the look up IO on google and decided i stick with redsea.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Hackem, you didn't read my salt overview?! Shame on you;D

10. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I did it just took a wile it was a mile long

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I'll stick to my coralife...

12. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

I have only used Tropic Marin products for almost 6 years now and for a short period used their Pro Reef (uneducated at the time) and had no issues with it either. Pro Reef salt is designed for someone running a Kalk and Calcium reactor keeping their levels on the high end. It has lower alk and calcium for those who are keeping their levels at the high side to bring them down and balanced. When I realized I was not setup in that matter and went back to Tropic Marin and I'm very happy with it. I'm in no way saying it is any better or worse than any other salt. Just works for me and I have no reason to change. It really depends on what's available for you and how you are running your tank. So many people seem to blame issues on salt and do not want to look at what their problem is.