instant ocean, good or bad salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. powerpoint

powerpoint Plankton

After reading this page http://www.aquacraft.net/w0023.html
    I think i should give up this hobby. Basically all the salts listed as bad from the "S-15 report" found on this site are the only ones easily available to me.

Has there been any other tests conducted on IO, reef crystal or redsea salts since that report was released?

is "marine environment" and "bio-sea" only available in the US? i live in australia. None of the 12 local and not so local fish stores i have been to have never heard of these brands!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi!

I use one of the Aquacraft salts, but I know plenty of people with good results from Instant Ocean! Reef Crystals is the same company but supposedly better ingredients....I don't know if that is accurate or not tho.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4. chris-miranda

chris-miranda Astrea Snail

instant ocean is a good salt to use i used it for many years but ive been using kent salt for awile now and had the same results :)

5. powerpoint

powerpoint Plankton

you have been using it for years!!! mate thats all i need to know, IO it is then.

6. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

I switched to IO a couple of months ago from Oceanic and went through a diatom bloom within 48 hours of a 15 gallon water change. So, I decided to go with Kent and haven't looked back since.

7. chris-miranda

chris-miranda Astrea Snail

i have heard very bad things about the batch quality control with the oceanic brand salt i belive you will do fine with instant ocean the makers also breed fish using IO :)

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[quote author=chris-miranda link=board=Salt;num=1109130405;start=0#5 date=02/23/05 at 00:55:59]the makers also breed fish using IO :)[/quote]

They bred clowns in it, but that hatchery is no longer. Frank H. is with ORA (he sits on the Board of Directors).

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Most people I know use IO. I tried Oceanic and will never do that again.

Don't belive every SR-15 report you read ;)

11. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

I mixed batch of IO about 1 week ago in a 20 gal tank, went to use it today for a water change and just for my wonderings i tested cal and it tested 340, hmmm, dont seem right to me but i am dosing. At least i know now why I am dosing.

12. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I am finishing my 2nd container (90gal each) of Oceanic. My coralline algae is coming back really nicely, but don't want to keep using Oceanic if it's bad in the long run. Should I switch?